Batch Sparging with Denny Conn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reminder, I'm looking forward to it. The All Grain show they did a few weeks ago was very informative.

I listened to this, I thought it was excellent. It cleared up lots of stuff about batch sparging (which I do.) It's not that it's a complicated subject but it was good to hear a detailed descrption of the mechanics of it.
I also thought the part about first wort hopping was good. Definately trying that on my next brew.
Of similar interest to me was the decotion research results - especially Wiehestephan's confirmation of Conn's findings. I usually decoct simply because I have no way to add heat to my tun if I'm doing a multi-step, other than adding hot water.

Anyway, I thought it was good, and will be tuning in next week for the White Brother's yeast show.

I am a big BN fan and always listen to the show. I dug the stuff about first wort hopping to and would like to try it but am unsure as to how to change the hop schedule to accomidate it. Denny seems like a very friendly guy. I have always fly sparged, but I may try a batch sparge just for the heck of it.

His technique is what got me into all grain. It is simple and effective. As far as First Wort hops, everything I read is to asasume a bitternes level of flavoring hops at the 40 minute mark in a 60 minute boil.

FWH is great. ProMash figures it all out for you.

I have heard it works best with noble hops though. Higher AA hops may not work as well.

I really like TBN and plan to listen to that show later tonight.

I attendend an all-grain seminar at the local HBS/microbrewery awhile back and the instructor did FWH. He said he always did it and gave it high marks. Said it was the best way to really get hop flavor into homebrews.

Chimone said:
I have heard it works best with noble hops though. Higher AA hops may not work as well.

Denny mentioned that as well, however he disagrees with it. Palmer says that you should only use noble hops but Conn says he's had fantastic success FWHing with high AA hops. They joked about having a Palmer - Conn smackdown on a future episode. :p

http://kotmf.com/articles/fwh.php

An excellent first wort hopping article. It basically says to add your aroma hops (about 30% of your total hop bill) as FWH and not to adjust your bittereing hop profile as a result. Tests showed that even though the FWH beers had higher IBU ratings the bitterness was much smoother, and that lowering your bittering hops would lessen the hoppy flavour of the whole brew when FWHing with low to meduim alpha hops.

(mods maybe split this thread?)

Looking at pics on Denny Conn's batch sparging page. How does he hang his thermometer in the mashtun? My levitation skills arent what they used to be since I started brewing. Will the lens fog up?

Back