Batch Sparging Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who does what when batch sparging?

• No Sparge

• 1 Sparge

• 2 Sparges

• 3 Sparges or more

• Varies with amount of grain in recipe

Results are only viewable after voting.
I almost invariably do a 60 minute single infusion mash, batch sparge with a mashout.

lately I've been doing a thin mash and a single batch sparge. I'm consistently getting ~78-80% brewhouse efficiency, which is what I wanted from my system.

I used a double sparge and hit 75% efficiency yesterday. This was my first time doing a double sparge and I got better efficiency somehow. I'm guessing because I rinsed out more sugars.

A double batch sparge yields 2-3% more efficiency for me. I've started single sparging lately, more to keep the pH lower than anything. The last sparge can get my pH close to 6 with most beers.

Small beers I mash thin and don't bother sparging, but most of the time it's two equal sparges.

lately I've been doing a thin mash and a single batch sparge. I'm consistently getting ~78-80% brewhouse efficiency, which is what I wanted from my system.

Same here! I mash around 1.75 qt/lb. Be using this method for a year now.

I mash a bit thicker (1.25qt/lb) and do 2 equal batch sparges. I don't bother with all of the calculations on how big the sparges should be. I just measure the first runnings, subtract this from the pre-boil volume, and divide the result by 2. Works every time and I am always within a point or two of my target gravity. I've been averaging 82-83% efficiency for a while now.

I use a single sparge typically. I used a double this weekend since I brewed a 12 gallon batch by myself with no pump. I consistantly get 83% efficiency.
tom

I pretty much do a 60 minute single infusion mash(1.25 qt/lb), double batch sparge with no mashout ala BobbyM's all grain primer doc.
I have consistently been getting 82-84% BH Efficiency.
Beersmith has not failed me yet calculating the water amounts ;)

I do a 60 minute rest with 1.25 qt/lb, then single batch sparge... but I've been stuck at 70% efficiency for a couple of mashes.

I usually do two batch sparges after a 60-minute 1.25 qt/lb mash. I'm currently building a RIMS so I'll do a thinner mash and probably do a single batch sparge once that's finished.

No mashout and I do 2 sparges generally the same size. I don't want to miss out on any sugars by doing it only once. I have no real basis to say that 2 is better than 1 but brewing is full of myths and whatnot. Try different things and see what works best for you and your system.

I use 1.5 qts/lb grain for my mashes. I've done both 1 and 2 sparge mashes, some with mash out, some without. I seem to hit 75% efficiency every time, regardless of number of sparges or mash out.

I pretty much do a 60 minute single infusion mash(1.25 qt/lb), double batch sparge with no mashout ala BobbyM's all grain primer doc.
I have consistently been getting 82-84% BH Efficiency.
Beersmith has not failed me yet calculating the water amounts ;)

same here. with my setup, i get about 78%

Mash at 1.25 qt/lb and do a double batch sparge. 10 gallon batch sizes. My first runnings is usually around 4 gallons, so I do two 4 gallon sparges for 12 gallons pre-boil. Been nailing 75% efficiency. I think I need to get a better crush (using a converted pasta mill right now) and get my sparges a bit hotter (I've been sparging in the low 160's recently).

I have been doing 1 or 2 sparges depending on the day and the grain bill, and when the crush has been correct I have been getting 75-85 percent efficency.

single infusion, double batch sparge, horrible efficiency.

60's maybe. not sure what i'm doing wrong

Back