Batch Sparge vs. Fly Sparge??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does the sparge get stuck due to the grain crush? or is it more a factor the MT?

Not sure what the issue is actually. I made a kolsch this past weekend and decided to open the valve all the way (I used about 1/4 lb rice hulls) once the grain bed appeared set. It stuck within a minute. SO I stirred the grain bed and let set another 10 minutes and sparged as normal with no issues. I use the same set up as many others (SS Braided line from Hot water heater hose). As long as I don't open my valve all the way, I'm usually ok. Its really no big deal, my entire brew day lasts about 4.5 hours so Its not like it takes me all day to make beer because my sparge isn't as fast as I would like it. I get great efficiency so, it is what it is :)

My old setup would compact a grain bed like cement if I drained to fast, and it was a pvc manifold. Crushed at .038 with a barley crusher, 80% efficiency. It took me 30-40 minutes to get to boil.

_

I made many batches with a double batch sparge and a mash out. Most batches were 85% but a few were over 90%. I tightened my mill and with a single sparge no mash out I get the same extract.

I had problems with compaction of the grain bed when I fly sparged with a false bottom. It's not been a problem after I made my bigger Coleman extreme set up and started batch sparging.

I haven't timed it but I probably get 50 quarts within 20 minutes or so. If I think I may have a particularly sticky grist I may slow it down to 30. I haven't needed rices hulls.

i have always fly sparged. 10g igloo with stainless false bottom...i love it and would never change...never had a stuck sparge in 30+ batches...both work.

I had been a fly sparger for many years, because that's how I learned to brew. With my recent setup with a round cooler and false bottom I couldn't ever get over 65% efficiency.

I gritted my teeth one day and tried a batch sparge on my system. Since then I've never gotten less than 75% efficiency.

I'll be more than glad to sell or trade my sparge arm setup.....I'm not going back to fly sparging.

I used to fly sparge too, my last few batches I took a leap and bach sparged. I always thought it a PITA to adjust flow rate on both MT and HLT to get it right. I haven't missed that part of it.

Back