Batch Sparge Question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffWScott

Reaction score
I can't find an answer to this anywhere, so please help.

After I drain the wort from the Mashton I'm supposed to dump a new batch of hot water in. How long do I let that water sit in the Mashton? Do I leave it for another hour, do I drain it immediately?

Thanks!

Dump the water in, stir it really good like it owes you money, then varlauf and drain. No need to let it sit if you got full conversion in the mash.

I can't find an answer to this anywhere, so please help.

After I drain the wort from the Mashton I'm supposed to dump a new batch of hot water in. How long do I let that water sit in the Mashton? Do I leave it for another hour, do I drain it immediately?

Thanks!

You don't have to let it sit at all, although some brewers will let it sit for a few minutes to settle.

A couple of tips- when you drain the first runnings of wort from the MLT, measure them. Then, the amount you need for the boil volume is the amount of sparge water to add to the mashtun. For example, if your desired boil volume is 6.5 gallons, and you get 2.5 gallons out of the first runnings, you know you need 4 gallons of sparge water.

Add the sparge water, and stir thoroughly. I mean, stir like it owes you money. :D Don't beat it up, but stir. And then stir, and then stir some more. It's like a washing machine in the rinse cycle- it's the agitation that "rinses" the sugars away from the grain. Then vorlauf by cracking open the drain, and draw off a quart or two until the runnings are clear. Gently add that back to the MLT, so you don't disturb the grainbed and then run off the sparge runnings more quickly by opening the valve wider. You can drain off very quickly at this point.

I know this is an old thread, but what happens if the sparge water isn't drained immediately?

I drained the first runnings, added my sparge water, vorlaufed, and then got pulled away for some kid stuff before draining. It sat for maybe an hour starting at 168 and ending at about 158 when I got it drained.

I know this is an old thread, but what happens if the sparge water isn't drained immediately?

I drained the first runnings, added my sparge water, vorlaufed, and then got pulled away for some kid stuff before draining. It sat for maybe an hour starting at 168 and ending at about 158 when I got it drained.

Not an issue at all. Just drain and proceed. Depending upon your crush and usual efficiency, you may gain a point or two of gravity over what you typically get.

I had this occur on my first batch of California Common on my second ever AG brew. What occurred was that my sparging was jacked up but only after all the sweet wort was pulled. I had to end up completely disassembling my mash lauter tun and reassembling after clearing the obstruction of grains that had clogged it when pouring the water back in too aggressively.

Beer came out fine, but I think that the tannins might have been squeeked off in the meantime. Didn't come out in flavor, however.

Latest posts

Back