Batch not clearing up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmwgomz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am brewing an IPA that has been going for almost three weeks now. I started it on Dec 2nd. Premary went on until the 14th (fermentation had slowed dramatically so I pitched an extra 4oz of Hops that morning). I checked on it this morning and there is alot of sediment suspended in the beer. It had started clearing before I pitched the extra 4oz of Hops.

Is this normal? If so, how long should I expect it to be before I can keg/serve?

Hops take a few weeks to drop clear. If you can cool it down that will help, but I normally got at least 2 weeks after dry hopping. It also helps if you put the hops in a bag when you drop them in.

Wait a week or so, transfer to a secondary, let clear for another couple weeks...

The 4oz. of dryhop for 5g seems excessive, but a couple extra weeks in secondary (without dryhop - but normally where most people do it) might allow some of the aroma to subside.

Not sure there is such a thing as 'too much hop aroma' anyway, but... could be I suppose?

jmwgomz said:
Hello everyone,

I am brewing an IPA that has been going for almost three weeks now. I started it on Dec 2nd. Premary went on until the 14th (fermentation had slowed dramatically so I pitched an extra 4oz of Hops that morning). I checked on it this morning and there is alot of sediment suspended in the beer. It had started clearing before I pitched the extra 4oz of Hops.

Is this normal? If so, how long should I expect it to be before I can keg/serve?

4oz is a lot of hops. If they were pellet hops, I'd expect it to take a long time to clear. The most I ever dry hopped with was 0.5oz and that took a good 10days to drop out.

You may even want to consider using gelatin. Search using just the term 'gelatin' and you will find several threads that tell you how to do it and what to expect.

My dry hopped beers get a little cloudy but usually clear after a week or so. 4 oz. is a pretty big amount to dry hop with so you probably are just getting that effect a bit.

My mistake, I actually pitched 2oz into the wort @ 45 min, another 2oz @ 60 min, and on Friday, I pitched 6oz!

Sounds like the general consensus is that this is excessive. I doubt that this would ruin the batch right? I'tll probably just take longer to clear up.

Any thoughts?

Hope you have good dental insurance.;)

I like to do successive dry hopping rather than one massive dose. You get a different spectrum of aromas.

david_42 said:
Hope you have good dental insurance.;)

Well, I really enjoy hoppy beer! We'll see just how bitter this one turns out!?!?

So it should just be a matter of more time right? Doesn't sound like anything has particularly gone wrong?

From my experience, dryhopped pellets don't clear to the bottom-- they just float at the top or in suspension. When you're satisfied with the aroma, rack the beer to another carboy, leaving the hops behind-- and give it time to settle in there. Give it another week to clear in there and see how it looks.

Back