Batch #1 - Update w/pics and questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sappnasty

Reaction score
Fellas,

Yesterday I checked I posted up a little update about my first batch. Before I left for dinner last night, I was getting a bubble about every 5-10 seconds in the airlock. Water was clear and everything looked great. Woke up this morning and bubbles are coming about every second and the krausen looks to be all the way almost to the top of the carboy. Water is no longer clear and foamy bubbles are in the airlock. So now for the rookie questions:

1.) Is the rising of the krausen normal during fermentation
2.) Should I clean out the airlock or let it roll
3.) Do I need to rig up a blow off tube instead of the airlock
4.) Is it normal to have some of the brew back up into the airlock

Now for some pics:

And yes I do have it covered. I only removed the cover to take the photos.

-Sapp

I think your at the point were a blowoff isn't needed but is would for the next 24hrs or so to be safe.

Looks good. I would definitely put a blowoff tube on that sucker for the first week or so.

First and foremost it is called Krausen with an "r". :) secondly, yes all this is normal. If you are still in active fermentation (krausen is still rising) pull off the airlock, switch to a SANITIZED blow off tube and put the opposite end in a bowl of sanitizer/vodka. Once the krausen begins to fall, switch back to the airlock.

Okay. I currently don't have a tube small enough to fit into the plug, so I will have to go and get some or modify another plug. For now and until I can rig a blow off, can I clean it out and put some new water in?

-Sapp

You can attach a blowoff as seen here. Just be sure to place the blowoff container with sanitizer below the carboy. Otherwise you could end up sucking sanitizer back into the carboy if the temperature drops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seven,

Thanks a ton for that info. Luckily I bought like 10 of the airlocks when I was last there and I had some extra 1/2" tubing laying around. So what I did was fill one of my brewing buckets with 2 gallons of hot water, added the recommended amount of One Step, placed the new airlock and tube in there to sanitize, then let them air dry for a minute. I very carefully and slowly moved my carboy onto a wooden crate to elevate above the bucket and sanitized water line. Re-covered, added airlock with tube and it immediately began bubbling. Looking good so far...and thank god because when I removed the old airlock, it was almost completely clogged with Krausen...a day or so more and I bet it woulda blown off! Thank god I am a green horn and have been watching it like a hawk!

-Sapp

Pics:

Looking good. Glad to see you solved your problem.

Like the others mentioned, that's all normal.

I like to rig up a blowoff for the first few days for any brew. Some blow, some don't.

Well I think I will be rigging a blow off hose to all future batches just as a safety precaution, at least until fermentation slows down. Thanks for the help everyone.

-Sapp

Back