Bass Pro Shop Turkey Fryer Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a bit much. if you are using it solely for boiling wort you may not want all the extras. but if you would also use it for a fryer you may have issues with oil in your beer.

Well, unfortunately it, like many of the new ones have a safety switch. on this one is says

"CSA Design Certified worry-free safety timer "

On many of these it means that every 15 minutes or so you have to push a button or turn a nob or else it shuts off. This is to keep you paying attention. But usually means that at a crucial moment it's gonna shut off and you aren't going to notice for awhile.

SOme folks have some bypasses to these things, but it's hard to know if they work or not. I personally would look for an older model at a garage sale, salvation army, or Craigslist.

this one is on craigslist...and is selling for $60. brand new, unused.

safety switch was a concern.

and to be honest, i was in the market for a new propane burner unit anyways. from what i can tell, most cost around $40-60.

I got that exact unit on sale before Christmas for $35. To me it was most definitely worth it for the pot alone. It is not super high quality, but it is light, workable, sturdy handles, and I was able to add a weldless valve without much trouble.

The burner is not great, but works fine for it's purpose, I have a small analog kitchen time that I set to go off every 10 minutes or so to remind me to reset the safety valve. It isn't a big deal since I find that I generally need to pay attention to the boil every 10 minutes or so anyway.

Again, for the price, you aren't going to get any better, but then again, you get what you pay for and this is not a blingman by any stretch of the imagination...

I got that exact unit on sale before Christmas for $35. To me it was most definitely worth it for the pot alone. It is not super high quality, but it is light, workable, sturdy handles, and I was able to add a weldless valve without much trouble.

The burner is not great, but works fine for it's purpose, I have a small analog kitchen time that I set to go off every 10 minutes or so to remind me to reset the safety valve. It isn't a big deal since I find that I generally need to pay attention to the boil every 10 minutes or so anyway.

Again, for the price, you aren't going to get any better, but then again, you get what you pay for and this is not a blingman by any stretch of the imagination...

so the safety cutoff was annoying. that's enough for me. that, and the fact that it was on sale for $35 before Christamas...sounds like the guy is wanting to make a quick buck, too.

I bought a turkey fryer (30 qt) and looked hard at the timer. The timer screws into the regulator with 1/8" pipe thread and the hose has 1/8" pipe thread on the end that screws into the burner but the end that screws into the timer is a little different so I couldn't just take the timer out but if I can find a gas hose with 1/8 pipe thread on both ends, that timer is history.

I got a cooker with a timer about a year ago. Just turn the timer on, use 10' of duct tape to hold it in place. Total cost maybe 5 cents, time for fix, maybe 15 seconds.

A very minor deal.

Back