Basic question about immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skbohler

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I purchased a copper immersion chiller.

At the ends are fittings for a garden hose.

I want to use this in my kitchen. So, do they make something that attaches to the sink faucet on one end, and has the appropriate hose attachment at the other?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

You can get a sink/garden hose adapter at any hardware store. I got mine at Ace. It's probably going to be in the plumbing section as opposed to the garden hose section. There are a few different thread sizes on faucets, so I'd recommend removing the screen-cap from your faucet and taking it with you to try to match up the threads at the store.

Just a note if you've got one of the pull-out kitchen faucets (like I do) - you probably won't be able to find an adapter. So, next choice is to run a hose from a bathroom sink or laundry room (you can add one of those hose shut-offs at the end so you can control water flow from the exit of the hose). Or move everything outdoors using an external hose outlet.

You can get a sink/garden hose adapter at any hardware store. I got mine at Ace. It's probably going to be in the plumbing section as opposed to the garden hose section. There are a few different thread sizes on faucets, so I'd recommend removing the screen-cap from your faucet and taking it with you to try to match up the threads at the store.

what he said. :rockin:

+1 on the teflon tape for a good seal

I had to put two different adapters together to get from a hose fitting to my kitchen sink threads. One goes from hose threads to some other kind of thread, then from the unknown thread to my sink thread. Be careful when installing, though, because if you get them too tight, they tend to get stuck (and they're too small to get a really good grip on).

If you're heading to the store...

Unscrew the Aerator from your faucet...that's the thread you'll be matching.

I googled and came up with this link for a picture of what you're looking for...of course this one is marketed to homebrewers...

http://homebrew-supplies.homebrewma...2=132255196&ProductID=383&Target=products.asp

The other option is to go under the sink. There should be a cold water valve. You'll have to look to see if yours is threaded and uses a flexible connector to the sink faucet...or maybe it's a sweat fitting and a peice of copper, or compression, etc... Anyway...you can get the plumbing guy at Home Depot to help you get the fittings to make a manifold down there. In other words...have two cold water valves instead of one. One, obviously will go to the faucet...the other you can adapt to a section of hose to go to your chiller. This will be easy if you already have a torch, solder, flux and know how to make copper sweat connections...

You could also use compression fittings to tee off of the water line line under the sink if you don't want to use sweat fittings. I would remove the existing shut off valve and install a tee behind it with a ball valve and garden hose thread adapter, then reinstall the shut off valve. This, of course, is sometimes easier said than done depending on how the original shutoff valve was installed and if the stub out from the wall will provide enough room to do the work without tearing into the wall etc.

Latest posts

Back