Basic NooB Carbonating Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAReef

Reaction score
1. When using 5 oz packet of corn sugar (for 5 gal. batch), I boil it in 2 cups of water. How important is it how long it boils for?

2. Is it necessary to cool it before pouring it into the bottling bucket (and pouring the room-temp beer on top of it and stirring)? If so, what happens if you don't cool it first?

I think 5 minutes of boiling should be plenty. No need to cool the priming solution before pouring into the bucket, the temperature of the bucket will lower it substantially when you pour it, and the beer will do the rest when you rack into the bucket.

1. It isn't important how long it boils for, or (IIRC) that it boils at all. I believe as long as you get it to 170 degrees you are okay. Note that the amount of priming sugar you use should vary according to the style of beer you are making.

2. It is not necessary to allow it to cool. The quantity of boiled liquid is miniscule compared to the volume of beer. Nothing happens if you don't cool it first.

Thanks, guys, for the quick response. Makes sense to me. Only my third batch (a Foreign Extra clone), and the more I do this, it seems the more variables I think about....

Back