Basic Nitrogen Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNewToBrew

Reaction score
Hi All,
I looking few a number of posts and maybe I'm just being extra cautious, but wanted direct confirmation of a few things as I'm switching from CO2 to nitrogen on my stout faucet because I'm still not sure that I am sure.

1) It's called a nitrogen 'tank', but it's filled with Beer gas, correct and not 100% nitrogen?

2) Do I have to carb up with this gas also? ie. Does using corn sugar to carb defeat the purpose? Can I card with CO2?

3) Do I really set the pressure as high as 35-40 psi for dispensing?

4) What pressure would I use to carb up the beer with beer gas?

5) Can I use the standard red gas line for my lines?

Thanks in Advance,
Frank

1) - yes, it is often times a 75-25 or 70-30 mix
2) - yes, but less, you are looking for about 1-1.5 volumes of CO2 in the beer
3) - yes, but maybe closer to 30
4) - you don't, you only serve with it and it maintains the 1-1.5 volumes in soultion
5) - yes

1) Nitrogen tanks are female threaded so require a different regulator. They are also rated for higher pressure (although I'm not sure if there is any difference in the tanks in actuality...maybe someone knows better on this). You can put nitrogen in the tank, or a blended gas.

2) Typically, you would carbonate to a desired level with a co2 tank (or priming), and then dispense with Nitrogen. I believe Guiness, for example, is carb'd to 1 volume and then dispensed off of nitrogen.

3) yes, or whatever seems to work best for you

4) I'm honestly not sure how this works. My understanding of beer gas (and this might not be totally accurate) is that beer gas is designed for the bar/restaurant industry to be able to have pressure to push long liquid lines as well as maintaining co2 levels in previously carbonated kegs. I don't know a lot of home brewers that run it, though I know they are out there. Most of the nitro systems I've set up or used carbonated with co2 then dispensed with 100% nitro.

5) Sure. It shouldn't matter what size or color it is....within reason.

Back