Basic grain list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nmnbrewer

Reaction score
I'm heading down to the twin cities (Mn) this weekend and picking up some bulk grains for future brewing. The grain supply here in Duluth is touch and go and I want to be able to brew on a moments notice if I want to. Question is, what's a good basic grain list that I could have on hand to be able to make a decent combination of beers. All grain is new to me so be kind please. Thanks.

Since you didn't specify how much you can get, I would start with:

50# pilsner & 50# marris otter
maybe 20# of C20 and another 20# of C60 (just a little of each in different combos yields very different results)

This will get you into ALOT of different good recipes, and if you can afford it, add 50# of a pale 2-row

2 Row
Maris Otter if you're into english styles or want some more backbone.
Vienna.
Some crystal. Light, medium, dark
Chocolate
Black
Roasted Barley for stouts.
Wheat if you're doing such things.
Flaked Oats.
Then the rest really depends on which styles you tend to brew.

I buy bulk base malts, then just order the specialty malts I need, as I need them.

Get a few recipes to brew, total up the grains and buy all of them. Maybe buy a little more of each grain for stock, as long as you can mill it, then you will have grains on hand to make what ever comes to mind on a given brewday.

I buy the crystal malts in 10 pound increments so I have them on hand. Instead of MO I use Golden Promise. Otherwise I keep 2 row, GP, and Pilsner for bulk malts, I use enough Victory I buy it in bulk (3.5 pounds per 10 gallon batch, brew twice a month maybe 3 times so it will only last 6 months), then 10 pounds each of whatever crystal malts tickle my fancy. Haven't gotten into stouts, don't do lagers so no need of corn or rice(and even if I did I may not use it).

Figure out what you want to brew most often and go from there.

My main malts are Pilsner, Wheat, and 2-row. I usually have 12.5kgs of each on hand so that I can brew at anytime. I keep 2-3kgs of other things I need, like Melanoidin and Carapils.

Latest posts

Back