Basic force carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpferris

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but is there any easy way to measure the vols of CO2 in solution?

Say you have a homebrew IPA that you want to carbonate with approximately 2.5vols of CO2. Obviously I can look at the various chart and see that at 40F, I should set my regulator at 12-13psi. But how do you now when solution has actually aciehved the proper carobonation levels?

I have been brewing all grain for a few batches now and I feel like forcarbonatiing has so much guess work (especially if you try to expedite the process by using higher pressure).

I know alot of guys "set it and forget" as opposed to trying to expedite carbonation using higher pressure. But if 12-13psi @40F should get you to 2.5 vols over time, coudn't you rock a flat 40F keg until it stops bubbling? Given the lower pressure, would it still be possible to over carbonate?

Assuming no, what is the advantage of slower carbonation without rocking? I understand the risk of overcarbing if you use a higher pressure.

Back