Basement Brewing Moisture Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keb

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm trying to follow all the rules but pardon me if I missed something. I did some searches and still have some questions.

I am doing all my initial research to start brewing. I would like to go start with all grain since after drinking alot of my buddy's home brew, I have already discovered the "twang" that comes with extract brews. My main issue is I live in a town house.

I'd rather not brew outside as my backyard is kind of small and I don't want to haul alot of stuff inside and out. So my real question is...

Is moisture still really an issue if only brewing 5 gal batches in the basement? My best spot is next to the laundry area I have an unfinished storage space that I believe would have room for a brew setup. I don't plan on brewing more than 5 gal at a time in this house. I found alot of people warning about indoor brewing and moisture, but all of them were proposing 10+ gallon setups.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

The moisture that will be put out isn't any greater than the moisture from a long hot shower, or making Thanksgiving dinner, or for that matter a humidifier running in the winter. Its not like you are putting massive amounts of water into the air. Despite what people panic about, you are not generating a constant amount of water that will lead to mold. The humidity you are generating is for too short of a period of time and too infrequently to be of any concern.

I would be careful and open a window if it's the middle of summer and its already humid in your basement. My basement can get to 80%+ humidity in the summer months. Other than that I wouldn't worry.

We actual have to run a full house humidifier in the house all winter.

To clarify this advice is based on the fact that I am only doing 5 gallon batches correct? Obviously boiling more water (for 10+ gal batches) is boiling for much longer and a lot more water meaning more steam and moisture in the air. I have heard that batches that large should not be done without large windows or a ventilation fan going outside.

Thanks again for the help.

Just install a small bathroom fan vent in the ceiling above your boil kettle if you want. I particularly like the extra moisture in the air in the winter, but in the summer I just use an in-the-window type fan since my electric rig is next to it.

Ok sounds good. I think it will be definately fine for winter and ill keep an eye on the humidity for summer.

Speaking of electric rig, that is the only real recommended setup for basements right? I'm not sure I want to pay to have my natural gas piped over to the area and I've heard propane indoors is a really bad idea. Let me know if you guys have a different opinion, otherwise I'll look into some electric burners. Thanks!

The risk of electric brewing = electrocution = arguably, only you die.

The risk in propane brewing indoors = blowing up the neighborhood = you and everyone you know dies.

Any questions?

I would never use propane in the basement, even with a commercial kitchen hood. I even think it's risky to do it in an opened garage unless you have the proper CO alarms and such. If you are even thinking electric, just do it.

Yeah, I wouldn't burn propane indoors, especially in the winter. There is a lot of carbon monoxide generated from the combustion.

Ha. Electric it is. Well thanks again all. I think that answers my basement questions.

Back