Barrel Aging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Perry

Barnyard Brewer
Reaction score
ok, I have scoured the internet and can't find the info I'm looking for.

I'm planning on brewing an Imperial Stout that I will be barrel aging in a bourbon barrel. I have done a lot of research but the only info I'm not 100% on is storage temp. I understand the science in what happens with the barrel and beer during temperature changes, as far as expanding and shrinking. But just as far as general, ta

Aging at or below cellar temps will give you the best chance of avoiding unwanted contamination, as well as slows the oxidative effect of the barrel aging.

For example, New Holland Brewing ages their Dragon's Milk at ~45F-- partly to insure a uniform aging flavor profile year-round, but also for the other reasons stated. Flavor pick-up may be slower at these temps, but I hesitate to say that Dragon's Milk doesn't have barrel character.

But I know tons of professional and home brewers that age at room temp. Personally, if you have a basement/cellar/crawl space that stays cooler year round, that is where I suggest to age it (and what I prefer personally).

You want cool (anything below 70F) and moderate humidity, without drastic swings of either. But as stated, different temps achieve different effects. All my barrels age at 60-65F (depending on winter vs summer), with a constant relative humidity (40%) as controlled by a dehumidifier.

I'm in eastern NC so the humidity is usually moderate to high. I plan on a dark closet i have in the house, temp is usually around 60-65 and humidity should be close to that.

I have barrel aged at room temperature with no issues. The one thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to go too long as it will become more boozy (if you are using something like a whiskey barrel) the longer it sits in the barrel.

There was a barrel aging seminar at Homebrew Con some years back (I think it was Minneapolis in 2010) that talked about how long to keep beers in a barrel. They passed out samples aged 0, 3, 6, 9, and 12 months. Three months seemed about right, twelve months was too long as it became really boozy (at least to my palate and also to the judges on the panel). The best thing is to taste the beer from time to time to determine when it has the wood and booze character you are looking for.

Also make sure you get a freshly emptied barrel (if possible) rather than one that has been sitting around for a while as those tend to dry out and leak.

I have barrel aged at room temperature with no issues. The one thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to go too long as it will become more boozy (if you are using something like a whiskey barrel) the longer it sits in the barrel.

There was a barrel aging seminar at Homebrew Con some years back (I think it was Minneapolis in 2010) that talked about how long to keep beers in a barrel. They passed out samples aged 0, 3, 6, 9, and 12 months. Three months seemed about right, twelve months was too long as it became really boozy (at least to my palate and also to the judges on the panel). The best thing is to taste the beer from time to time to determine when it has the wood and booze character you are looking for.

Also make sure you get a freshly emptied barrel (if possible) rather than one that has been sitting around for a while as those tend to dry out and leak.
My plan is to taste it once a month to check for strength of flavor. And yes, I got the barrel today and it is freshly emptied.

Three months seemed about right, twelve months was too long as it became really boozy (at least to my palate and also to the judges on the panel)
Something like this totally depends on the barrel details (type of oak, how many times it's been used, etc.) but mostly on the size of the barrel (larger barrels impart less oak and booze flavor due to the lower relative surface contact).

My plan is to taste it once a month to check for strength of flavor
This is a good approach.

If it's just wood and booze character you want, skip the barrel itself and soak spirals in your booze of choice and use those. I don't like small barrels, as the surface area causes rapid extraction of barrel character and rapid oxygen ingress compared to larger barrels. And larger barrels (proper 53-60 gallon ones) are a bit unwieldy for most homebrewers (but do make a good homebrew club group project)

Cellar to room temp and fairly stable I'd say is the ideal. Sticking a barrel in a basement is a fine option.

Just make sure it's good and wet when you go to fill it.

If it's just wood and booze character you want, skip the barrel itself and soak spirals in your booze of choice and use those. I don't like small barrels, as the surface area causes rapid extraction of barrel character and rapid oxygen ingress compared to larger barrels. And larger barrels (proper 53-60 gallon ones) are a bit unwieldy for most homebrewers (but do make a good homebrew club group project)

I have done both, using a barrel and with wood chips or spirals soaked in booze. The chips/spirals are a bit easier to work with for the homebrewer.

Regarding oxygen ingress, you can purge the barrel (both small and large) with CO2 before filling. As far as rapid extraction of barrel character from smaller barrels, I will have to take your word on that one. I have only used large barrels because it was a club project. However, I brewed a RIS with a local brew buddy and it has been in a half barrel (bourbon) for over a year now. We tasted it a couple months ago before the COVID-19 thing hit. It has a lot of wood character but it was not really overwhelming, which surprised me.

Cellar to room temp and fairly stable I'd say is the ideal. Sticking a barrel in a basement is a fine option.

Just make sure it's good and wet when you go to fill it.
Heya....new to the forum and saw you might be in Mauritius....is this still the case?

Sorry thought you had moved there like me....was going to ask about brewing laws there

Back