Barrel-Aged Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So barrel aging beans seems like the new thing in coffee and I'd like to try it.

I gather than commercial producers put green beans in full-sized barrels and then roast them.

Does anyone have experience doing this on a home scale? I'd like to use soaked oak cubes or spirals, but I'm not sure if I can get enough contact with the beans. Can I just put soaked oak and green beans in some mason jars? For how long? Does this work on roasted beans? Any tips or advice?

This is interesting, I'm replying largely to follow the thread.

I'm assuming there's a big difference between beer in on oak chips than coffee beans and air

I've done this in 5 gallon Rum barrels in my shop. You have to use green beans, they are like a sponge and will soak up any aroma/flavor. If you are using a barrel it must be dry, if it has liquid in it you might get mold. We let our used barrels dry for about 2 months (Bung in) before using it. Longer is not always better, our first batch was very intense, I personally blended it with un-aged coffee to get more balance. We found this was key to creating a consistent product in subsequent batches. We had them roasted to a full city and French roast, we liked the lighter roast when compared to the darker. Hop some of this helps

I've done this in 5 gallon Rum barrels in my shop. You have to use green beans, they are like a sponge and will soak up any aroma/flavor. If you are using a barrel it must be dry, if it has liquid in it you might get mold. We let our used barrels dry for about 2 months (Bung in) before using it. Longer is not always better, our first batch was very intense, I personally blended it with un-aged coffee to get more balance. We found this was key to creating a consistent product in subsequent batches. We had them roasted to a full city and French roast, we liked the lighter roast when compared to the darker. Hop some of this helps

Thanks for the input. How much coffee are you putting in a five gallon barrel? I'm thinking of getting a very small barrel (2L to 2 gallon) but for the price I'm not sure it's worth it compared to something larger.

Do the roasted beans retain the flavor very well over time? I know to use beans pretty quickly, but if I make a 5 gallon batch, that will take some time to get through.

I've used bourbon and cubes and have had some flavor transfer, I was hoping for a little more though. I'm actually thinking of a 2 oz bottle and mister. Mist with bourbon, place in dehydrator on low? Bourbon can be subtle compared to rum or you can buy smaller barrels...

I barrel aged coffee at home in my Woodinville rye whiskey barrel. I used 2lbs of Sulawesi region coffee from Indonesia purchased from morebeer (morecoffee). Sat in the barrel for ~90 days, turning every few days and roasted it on my side burner in a stainless whirlypop. Results were quite good, some batches came out a bit under roasted but it was my first time ever roasting coffee. Hardest part of the entire process was getting all of the coffee beans out of the barrel but well worth the effort. I plan on getting a dedicated roaster and barrel aging significantly more coffee as its incredibly unique.

http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/barrels/
http://morecoffee.com/products/indonesia-sulawesi-region-wet-processed-regional-series.html

It's a cheap substitute, but I have two empty bottles of bourbon at home I've been meaning to put some coffee in and store for a week or so before trying. I've got to try this still.

I may try two batches: store green beans, and store roasted beans. Then compare the two to see the difference.

I barrel aged coffee at home in my Woodinville rye whiskey barrel. I used 2lbs of Sulawesi region coffee from Indonesia purchased from morebeer (morecoffee). Sat in the barrel for ~90 days, turning every few days and roasted it on my side burner in a stainless whirlypop. Results were quite good, some batches came out a bit under roasted but it was my first time ever roasting coffee. Hardest part of the entire process was getting all of the coffee beans out of the barrel but well worth the effort. I plan on getting a dedicated roaster and barrel aging significantly more coffee as its incredibly unique.

http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/barrels/

http://morecoffee.com/products/indonesia-sulawesi-region-wet-processed-regional-series.html

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Hmm...now you guys got me thinking. "Barrel aged" cold brew?? Just use some bourbon or rum soaked chips in some cold brew? Might have to try that this weekend.

Back