Barlley Crusher not crushing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you turning the handle the right way? Only one roller turns with the handle, there other turns with the force applied by the grain.

What he said. If you aren't getting a good crush, you need to play around with the gap setting.

enkamania said:
When I set the drill to clockwise and put in the grain, it won't turn. Counter clickwise spins it

Maybe other mills are different, or I'm doing something wrong, but I have to get the rollers up to speed before adding grain otherwise the whole thing Jams. Maybe my drill is wimpy or something. Try that and see how it does.

Have you tried cranking it by hand with only a small amount of grain to see if there is a visible mechanical error?

It will work only with a small amount, at two handfuls it stops.

You have an issue then.

I fill the hopper to the top then hand crank it out. I have never had an issue with mine. It may be time to seek a replacement.

Since I'm using it for the first time, I would think it's an issue. It came shipped with a broken base, so I had to get them to send me a new one. I put the grain in a bowl and and let it vibrate in. It will work for today, but I was going to do a double crush

I fill mine to the top before starting, and then use a cordless drill. Works just fine, as long as the battery has a decent charge (and isn't too weak to begin with, I assume).

Does the other roller turn easily,or at all? Do they have bearings? Sounds like it's binding somewhere. Like a supercharger with bad bearings,& the lash on the rotors too tight.

Back