Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hecliff

Reaction score
I have complete 2 English Barleywines, 1 is a year and a half old and one is just 6 month young. both were made with Maris Otter and caramel 40. the older one was pitched with one rehydrated package of Nottingham and the younger one with a package of Nottingham I used in a starter.
They both have molasses (raisiny) flavor.
First question is this normal and were did it come from:
Second, will the finally age out?

I'm glad that I don't have any more than about 12 bottles of each and I have never tasted a true Barleywine. Any assistance will be helpful.

Hecliff

I think the raisony flavor is oxydation. In a high alcohol content drink, I personally find that flavor pleasant and in BJCP the flavor is acceptable in an English barleywine. I particularly like it in a port.

Does not need to be oxidation: high alcohol combined with large amounts of malt does give me a bit of that flavour. Barleywines are more complex than what the very basic ingredients going into them make you expect. I think you might have got this one right!

Back