barleywine has alcohol sting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockybitz

Reaction score
Just cracked my first and it had a scent of the actual alcohol, unlike lower ABV beers. Is this normal? Should I add more 60 min hops to counter this in the future? Is there anything else to bring a "balance" to the beer?

BTW, don't even ask what my grain bill for this was. I used every bit of odd and end grain I had to make it-- just to use the stuff up. Though not an actual barleywine, I had an OG of 1.132. It fermented down to 1.040~ 12%

How long has it been in the bottle? Probably just needs a few months to age and mellow.

Yeah, definitely at least 6 months. I made an 8% that was really bad after 1.5 months in the fermenter and 3 weeks in the bottle, so yours is going to need way more time (probably, we don't know how long it's been bottled).

Alcohol bite usually goes away in time. Barley wines in general are aged in the neighborhood of 9-12 months.

Back