Barleywine Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was pumped yesterday to be brewing my first barleywine. For 13 gallons I had 65 pounds of Maris Otter; 6 oz of Warrior for bittering; 3 oz Centennial flavour addition and 3 oz Cascade at flameout. 2.5 hour boil.

Chilled for awhile, sort of zoning out, and thought "Hmmm, seems to be more wort here than I had a few minutes ago." Sure enough, pulled the IC out and it was spraying water.

Considered dumping it but my brew buddy talked me out of it. We boiled it for another hour to get the volume back down, chilled it with the spare IC, let it sit then racked about 11g of nice, clear wort, pitched WY1084 slurry, aerated 3 minutes with pure O2 through 0.5 micron stone, and attached blowoff. By this morning it was going nuts through the blowoff. The mild I made with the second-runnings from the tun we no-sparged (crystal grains, etc added) was fermenting nicely with S-04 this morning as well.

Wonder what I should expect from this beer? OG 1.101. Suspect the bitterness will be crazy with the extra time boiling for the Centennial and Cascade.

I suspect this is going to be really good beer!! No worries! Have a Homebrew!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: One of the greatest things about homebrewing is that if you screw up a beer, it usually just turns into another kind of beer. Age it properly and enjoy!

I think you made the absolute best decision you could have given the circumstances..... I bet it is somewhere between good and great when it is all said and done. Of course, if it is the greatest barleywine of all time........ good luck making it again:)

Latest posts

Back