Barleywine aging in Kegerator??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timboosh

Reaction score
Tried searching around a bit, but am having trouble finding information on my question...

So, I'd like to brew a barleywine in the next month or so so it's "ready" for fall. But, I don't have a cellar for longer aging. For regular ales that ferment out in a few weeks, I don't have a problem with a water bath for temp control... but I'm not so keen on that for 6+ months for a Barleywine.

But - I have a kegerator that holds 4 kegs w/ only three taps. Any reason not to transfer the barleywine to a corny and age it in the kegerator after it's through with primary fermentation??

Will it slow its aging/maturing down too much??

(EDIT: FWIW, I keep my kegerator at 40ºF)

My thought would be to have it on tap through next winter... no bottling (or maybe bottling a few off the keg to throw in the back of the fridge and forget about)

Thanks in advance.

-Tim

Im a little confused on why you would need a water bath for temp control, if all you are going to do is age it.
You can simply keg your barleywine, seal your keg, and put in the closet, or corner somewhere and let it sit for as long as you like. You dont have to keep it cold to age it.

Sorry, I should have clarified a bit more... I'm not one to run my air conditioning much in the summer, so it's not uncommon for my apartment to be in the 75-80°F ambient range.

1. I know temp control is key in Primary Fermentation
2. I can't say I've heard of anyone aging their beer in warmer temps... I typically read about cellaring - which I understand to generally be in the 50-65° range...

so my thought was - Isn't that a bit warm to age beer out?? Or would I the beer be ok at 75-80° as long as it's past primary and CO2 sealed in a keg??

Thanks for your help... Still learning quite a bit...

I think 75-80 would be a bit warm to age your barleywine.
I only have a 2 tap kegerator so I would hate to give up the room just to age one keg, but if it doesnt bother you, it might be best to go ahead and set it in there.
Curious to see what others might think.

bump for any additional opinions...

What temps are "too high" and/or "too low" for aging/cellaring of a Barleywine??

Thanks again all...

I read a little while ago on here that you can age beer in a fridge, but it will age slower.

Back