Barleywine advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braceful

Reaction score
So 6 days ago I brewed a 4 gallon batch of English Barleywine, recipe below. I had planned on step feeding with 1 lb of corn sugar in order to make sure I hit my FG, but my slurry of 1028 already overshot my FG and I'm worried if I add the corn sugar as planned I'll dry it out too much.

Partial Mash (mashed 90 min @ 149F)
7lbs Marris Otter
1/2 lb Crystal 120
1/2 lb Caramunich III
3lbs Muntons Light DME
1/2 lb Briess Pilsen DME
1 oz Horizon (11.2%aa) 60 min
1/4 oz Kent Golding (6.7%) 60 min
1/2 oz Kent Golding (6.7%) 20 min
1/2 oz Kent Golding (6.7%) Flameout

OG measured 1.093
pitched ~400mL of 1028 slurry from Northern English Brown I bottled the same day (temp around 60). Second aeration after 18 hrs.

Fermented at RT (low-mid 60s)

Today, SG: 1.018. Calculated FG was 1.023
After 6 days it obviously tastes very hot but like a barleywine.
I'm already at 9.8% ABV, was originally aiming for around 10.2% with the corn sugar addition

So what do you guys think, let it ride without the step feeding?

I'd leave out the sugar as well. Personally I don't see the point of adding sugar over .4% alcohol. When you have a beer that alcoholic the yeast are under stress as it is, giving them corn sugar after they have been consuming barley based sugars might not be the best.

Thanks guys, I was leaning toward omitting the sugar too. I just didn't expect the yeast would have such a feeding frenzy :ban:

Back