Barley Wine Sampling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackHat

Reaction score
Are there any good barley wines that are also pretty common? I've never drank a barley wine before and I'd like to mark that off my list. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find anything too different from the Bud Milloors that overrun the college town I live in. I'd be willing to order it online if I had to - I had to do that to try mead, which is surprising considering the dozen or so wineries within driving distance, but I digress.

Thanks
:mug:

Thomas Hardy if you can get your hands on one. They're up on ebay at times. I have an unopened one in my fridge from 1989.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked on eBay for Thomas Hardy with no success :( I plan on checking the local "big" liquor store tomorrow night. It's a decent size but when I asked them if they had any mead they stared at me blankly and said they'd never heard of it.

Youngs Old Nick Barley wine is a good start. Very good flavor, and not so heavy on the ABV. My favorite so far is Rogue's Old Crustacaen. F'ing Awesome. Another good one is Flying Dogs Horn Dog Ale. I didnt like this one, but Sierra Nevada's Big Foot Ale is another one. Some people like it. I didnt find it very good.

I've seen Moylans around on a regular basis adn I think it's pretty damn good. Averys is the only other I've seen regular and like it as well but but not quite as much.

Back