barley malt extract to 2-row conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Napolil

Reaction score
does pounds of liquid extract equal pounds of dry?

i ordered the pumpkin kit from midwest Pumpkin Ale

the kit came with 6 lbs of barley malt extract and 1 cup of brown sugar. (actually they forgot to include the sugar, but that's another matter)

but then decided to try to make it more like the pumking clone that i got off HBT.

the clone calls for 14 lbs of 2-Row American Pale Malt, 3/4 lbs Demerara and 1/4 lb light brown sugar.

i want to use the extract that came with the kit and add more 2-row.

my question is: how much 2-row should i add? in other words, is 6 lbs of barley malt extract equivalent to 6 lbs of 2-row (so i should add 8lbs of 2-row; 8+6=14)? half? double?

This was posted a couple years back on another homebrewing board, which shall remain unnamed...

ALL-GRAIN TO EXTRACT
Amount of pale malt x .8125 = amount of liquid malt extract
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .8125 = 6.5 lbs. liquid malt extract)
Amount of pale malt x .6875 - amount of dry malt extract (DME)
(example: 8 lbs. pale malt x .6875 = 5.5 lbs. dry malt extract)
Amount of wheat malt x .937 = amount of liquid wheat malt extract
(example: 6.5 lbs. wheat malt x .937 = 6.1 lbs. liquid malt extract)

EXTRACT TO ALL-GRAIN
Amount of liquid malt extract x 1.23 - amount of pale malt
(example: 6.6 lbs. liquid malt extract x 1.23 = 8.1 lbs. pale malt)
Amount of dry malt extract x 1.45 - amount of pale malt
(example: 5 lbs. dry malt extract x 1.45 = 7.25 lbs. pale malt)
Amount of liquid wheat extract x 1.07 - amount of wheat malt
(example: 6.6 lbs. wheat extract x 1.07 = 7 lbs. wheat malt)

sounds right to me. A great tool to have in your beer arsenal is software like BeerSmith2. I use it every time I brew. It has great tools for converting all grain to extract or vice versa. Costs around $20. I really love and depend on it. Don't worry I'm in no way affiliated with BeerSmith. Check it out or something like it pro mash is another great tool

ALL-GRAIN TO EXTRACT
Amount of wheat malt x .937 = amount of liquid wheat malt extract
(example: 6.5 lbs. wheat malt x .937 = 6.1 lbs. liquid malt extract)

EXTRACT TO ALL-GRAIN
Amount of liquid wheat extract x 1.07 - amount of wheat malt
(example: 6.6 lbs. wheat extract x 1.07 = 7 lbs. wheat malt)

they got these ones way wrong. unfortunately the % of wheat in extracts differs between manufactures so there's not a straight conversion. it should be closer to something like this

extract to AG
wheat LME = 0.75 wheat malt + 0.5 pale malt

they got these ones way wrong. unfortunately the % of wheat in extracts differs between manufactures so there's not a straight conversion. it should be closer to something like this

extract to AG
wheat LME = 0.75 wheat malt + 0.5 pale malt

True... I didn't look at it that close, but I would agree that your figures for the wheat are a bit closer...but one thing to remember, is this post is a bit old too, so that could account for some discrepency. Further, even the rest of the figures do not lend themselves to being a straight conversion because the numbers will vary not only depending on the manufacturer, but also the individual types of grain involved. But for all practical purposes, the figures will get him close enough for homebrewing...your numbers for wheat would be more accurate for today's malts/extracts.

I'll look into getting a program. I've read that suggestion more than a few times on here.

So understanding that algebra isn't why I picked HBing as a hobby, how much pale malt do I add to my LME? 1 pound? I just want it close...

if you're trying to match the 14lbs from pumpkin you need to add 6lbs of pale malt with the 6lbs of LME.

Back