Barley Crusher or Crankandstein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I've done some research and found these two to be on the top for homebrew grain mills.

http://www.crankandstein.net/index...._id=12&zenid=e1735e410b08863c7740042805e1b75b

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12242

Right now I will be using a bucket to mill my grain into but later on when I get my basement set up for brewing (using kitchen now) I will be building a table. The table will be used to store equipment under and use for well as a table. I want to attach the mill to the table and have a bucket underneath to catch the grain. So at that point I wouldn't need a base.

I am assuming I can do that with either of these mills. The crankandstein I would either need to build a base and hopper or buy this for another $40 http://www.crankandstein.net/index....s_id=3&zenid=e1735e410b08863c7740042805e1b75b.

I will also be using my drill to power it which can be done with both.

So with that said, which option would you guys go with? Barley Crusher is $124.99 and the Crankandstein with base and hopper is $129.95 both after shipping.

I just went through this and ended up ordering the Barley Crusher. It is supposed to arrive on Thursday. They are definitely both great mills and both have great reviews. The main reason I got the BC is because it comes ready to use right out of the box. I just moved and have a lot going on so this was a big selling point for me. I really don't think you can go wrong either way.

I've done some research and found these two to be on the top for homebrew grain mills.

http://www.crankandstein.net/index...._id=12&zenid=e1735e410b08863c7740042805e1b75b

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12242

Right now I will be using a bucket to mill my grain into but later on when I get my basement set up for brewing (using kitchen now) I will be building a table. The table will be used to store equipment under and use for well as a table. I want to attach the mill to the table and have a bucket underneath to catch the grain. So at that point I wouldn't need a base.

I am assuming I can do that with either of these mills. The crankandstein I would either need to build a base and hopper or buy this for another $40 http://www.crankandstein.net/index....s_id=3&zenid=e1735e410b08863c7740042805e1b75b.

I will also be using my drill to power it which can be done with both.

So with that said, which option would you guys go with? Barley Crusher is $124.99 and the Crankandstein with base and hopper is $129.95 both after shipping.
I own a B/C. If I had to do it over again (and might out of frustration) I'd go w/a 3 roller crankenstein.

What's wrong with your BC?

The free roller often seizes while I'm crushing grain. I have to take it apart about every third batch to clean the internals. All the grain has to be malt conditioned now to reduce the amount of dust. I also think the knurling has become a bit dull. I've run a couple thousand # of grain through it, so part of it may be over-usage. I thought it should have held up better than it has.

A couple thousands lbs is a lot of grain, though I would think it would last longer than that.

Is the 3 roller set up supposed to be that much better? Gary on HBT did say he had to clean his 2 roller set up once in a while...but I would think you would have to do that with any set up as the grain dust will get into any open space.

The 3 roller set up is double the price. Will it really make that much of a difference in milling and make your efficiency better?

I'm actually quite pleased to hear that it lasted that long for ~$130. I'm sure it paid for itself several times. Even the knurls on the 3 roller types will wear out after milling that much.

I guess I had higher expectations. Like I said, I'd buy the crankenstein if I had to do it all over again. YMMV

I own a C&S 2S mill. I couldn't be happier with it. I ended up going the C&S because of plywood base versus the MDF on the BC. And, my LHBS has one, and has milled a lot of grain with it...no problems.

I have left the gap as it came....which is about .040". I regularly get 77-82% efficiency with it.

I'm using a Dewalt ½" drill motor to power it.

I know you didn't mention it but I was wondering if you considered it...

any monster mills...

theses seem like the obvious choice to me...I know a little more $$$...but considering this is an investment...the extra10 or 20 bucks is arbitrary. I've heard nothing but great things and satisfied customers. they look like a better quality mill.

the 2d is the comparable example to the mm2...yet it is an inch shorter and more money...and IMO not made as well. just my 2 cents. I think they are atleast worthy taking a look at. best of luck.

I have heard those were great as well but the $40 jump from a C&S to Monster doesn't seem all that worth it to me unless they are really worth that much extra. It seems that C&S, Monster and BC all have great reviews.

h22lude said:
I have heard those were great as well but the $40 jump from a C&S to Monster doesn't seem all that worth it to me unless they are really worth that much extra. It seems that C&S, Monster and BC all have great reviews.

I just think your not comparing the same mill...the comparable mills , the correct ones, are not the same. the crank is more money for less is my point

I just think your not comparing the same mill...the comparable mills , the correct ones, are not the same. the crank is more money for less is my point

I don't think he was looking to buy the 2D, his link goes to the 2S, which is $79.

I understand...

its just you can't compare two different mills and complain about price...its different steel, different length, different bearings, and different manufacturer.

I understand there is a cost efficiency thing...is it over kill? maybe...just I'd rather be safe then sorry...when you break down the extra that the will cost you over its life time its change per day. I do not regret my purchase one bit...

I Use a Barley Crusher and Use it everyday, I take it apart and clean it 2 Times a Month and never had a issue. I would Recommend a Barley Crusher To anyone! Especially since it crushes alot of grain a day and never had a issue.

if you decide to go with a Barley Crusher, order it from a vendor. I recently ordered one from the manufacturer. It took 26 days to be delivered. That being said, it does a fine job.

I understand...

its just you can't compare two different mills and complain about price...its different steel, different length, different bearings, and different manufacturer.

I understand there is a cost efficiency thing...is it over kill? maybe...just I'd rather be safe then sorry...when you break down the extra that the will cost you over its life time its change per day. I do not regret my purchase one bit...

I see what your saying but at what point do you stop?

If I'm gonna spend another $40 for the MM2, why not spend another $20 on top of that and get the 3E from C&S? Now instead of $75 I'm paying $145. Is the MM2 worth the extra $40 over the 2S? Is the 3E worth the extra $20 over the MM2?

I'm one for having the best products but some times you have to weigh in the price difference. Is the MM2 really worth the extra $40 over the 2S? You say the cost of time spent cleaning it, which I typically don't factor in because you should clean them no matter what. Spray it down with compressed air after each use and take it apart every month or two...not that big of a deal to me. Now if the product itself is truly worth the extra $40 because it grinds that much better, I'll get better efficiency and it will last twice as long, well then yes I would say getting the MM2 is what I would do.

The barley crusher is an excellent mill. The guy complaining about it must have a faulty mill or one of the types that you can never please.

A small craft brewery near me *bell's* has a BC in their homebrew store for customers to use. I can only imagine how many 100's of 1000's of pounds of grain have been crushed in it.

It's a rock solid mill and I plan on buying one.

I own two Monster Mills - a 2 roller and a 3 roller. I have a 15 gallon system at home and also have a 26 gallon system with a friend at his house. I highly recommend the Monster Mills!

Both mills have the 15 pound hopper. The 2 roller and is powered by a cordless drill and does a very good job of crushing the grain. The three roller is motorized with a 1/2 hp motor and runs at 250 rpms. The 3 roller is a great malt mill and, although a little expensive, it does a better job. Our calculated overall efficiencies are higher with the 3 roller mill (on similar batches).

The barley crusher is an excellent mill. The guy complaining about it must have a faulty mill or one of the types that you can never please.

A small craft brewery near me *bell's* has a BC in their homebrew store for customers to use. I can only imagine how many 100's of 1000's of pounds of grain have been crushed in it.

100's of 1000's of pounds? I highly doubt that. I'd call it a casual brewers mill, very capable for doing a typical home brewers milling. But they sell a commercial version for large quantities of milling. If you keep it clean and lube it frequently it's a good mill.

I've had a Barley Crusher for 7 years and have never even thought to take it apart, clean, and lube it. It just works. I'd say I've probably milled 1500 lbs of grain with it, and it still works fine though it can be hard to get "primed" since the rollers are a bit worn and don't bite into the grain quite as well. Or I just need to lube the undriven roller so it spins more easily.

How do you take them apart to clean & what do you use for lube?

100's of 1000's of pounds? I highly doubt that. I'd call it a casual brewers mill, very capable for doing a typical home brewers milling. But they sell a commercial version for large quantities of milling. If you keep it clean and lube it frequently it's a good mill.

Hey take you're negativity and go bury it in a hole.

I was only taking a guess. Who knows how old the mill is. It's been there as long as I've been going to bells.

I know I've milled at least 500lbs with it in the last year.

all I know is it works everytime.

acyl said:
Hey take you're negativity and go bury it in a hole.

I was only taking a guess. Who knows how old the mill is. It's been there as long as I've been going to bells.

I know I've milled at least 500lbs with it in the last year.

all I know is it works everytime.

Any mill in a lhbs will get a lot of use. I bet they have milled 100k in grain. Especially if it has been there for over 5 years.

I think im going with the cheaper of the options we have talked about. I would rather put the extra money in keggles

No, I'd say I'm quite happy w/most of my purchases, homebrew or otherwise. I dont' think it's a rare defect in the mill. I think it's designed for the casual hobbyist.

Have a look at this search thread. You'll find I'm not the only one who experiences the slave roller to not operate as it should.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?q=barley+crusher+problem&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGLL_en___US379[/ame]

All of this is simply my opinions and experiences based on my ownership over the past several years.

OP: If you want to buy a Barley Crusher, have at it. It's your money. If given the choice to do it all over again, I'd opt for the Crankenstein.

Hugh_Jass said:
No, I'd say I'm quite happy w/most of my purchases, homebrew or otherwise. I dont' think it's a rare defect in the mill. I think it's designed for the casual hobbyist.

Have a look at this search thread. You'll find I'm not the only one who experiences the slave roller to not operate as it should.

http://www.google.com/search?q=barley+crusher+problem&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGLL_en___US379

All of this is simply my opinions and experiences based on my ownership over the past several years.

OP: If you want to buy a Barley Crusher, have at it. It's your money. If given the choice to do it all over again, I'd opt for the Crankenstein.

I will probably go with the BC or C&S as the are similar in price

Back