Barley Crusher O-Ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hercher

Reaction score
I couldn't find this on another thread, so I apologize if it duplicates another thread.

I used my Barley Crusher for the first time today. After crushing my grain, I discovered an O-Ring had walked halfway across the active roller. I can't tell which side it came from, as neither side seems to have an o-ring.

Also, the drill I used is a corded, single speed drill. Is it better to crush at full speed, or going about half-speed?

You can ignore the o-ring issue. It has pens to all of them but really isn't an issue from what I've heard.

In regard to the drill a two speed drill really works better. Put it on the slower speed and you can run it about 1/2 throttle. You want to target about 200-400 rpms. Do a small amount at one speed and check it out and adjust as needed. If you go too fast you won't get a good crush.

condition your malt before you mill it. do a search here for malt conditioning.

Does this really make a difference? I can see how it would reduce the dust, and allow a finer crush for more efficiency, but some of the stuff I read indicates it really isn't a big deal for homebrewers.

Does this really make a difference? I can see how it would reduce the dust, and allow a finer crush for more efficiency, but some of the stuff I read indicates it really isn't a big deal for homebrewers.

Conditioning the malt has made a difference for me.

try it both ways and decide for yourself.

Keep an eye on the o-ring. Had it wander off the end one brew day. Roller were just spinning by itself. I had to figure out some way to get the grain out of the hopper, etc etc. Big mess. Anyway, now I check before using, rolling it back out to the middle before using to be safe.

Keep an eye on the o-ring. Had it wander off the end one brew day. Roller were just spinning by itself. I had to figure out some way to get the grain out of the hopper, etc etc. Big mess. Anyway, now I check before using, rolling it back out to the middle before using to be safe.

Will the o-ring limit how close I can set the rollers? As I understand it, if I condition my malt, I can mill if more finely and perhaps improve my efficiency.

Over time the O-ring will get destroyed and fall off completely...mine happened doing a big hopper of wheat...that stuff is harder than the normal malts. However, It doesn't affect the performance..except when empty of course. Once grains are between the pinch rollers the knurling grabs them and moves them through.... So no real concerns there.

LOL, we discovered the O-ring had come off while cleaning out the MLT. Was a nice "WTF is this thing doing in here?!" and then looked at the mill and said oh...ok.

Didn't think it mattered...as it didn't seem to make any difference on the crush.

Back