Barley Crusher + Harbor Freight Low Speed Drill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhope

Reaction score
I know people out there use the high torque low speed drill from Harbor Freight to power their grain mills. Well I wanted to show you guys a way to mount permanently mount your mill and drill. This might work with other mills but I only have a Barley Crusher to test on. If you remove the rubber feet on the stock mounting board and turn the drill to the perpendicular orientation show in the figure below, just 1 washer is needed to get the drill "perfectly" inline with the mill shaft. Just drill a hole though what ever you are mounting the mill and drill to that is lined up with the handle threads that are facing straight down. I hope this is useful to others!

1174877_10100576837754555_985078123_n.jpg

Nice setup. I have the older model of that drill which has a dial on the trigger to limit it (hold at a certain speed). How are you adjusting the speed on this model, is it by how far you pull the trigger?

They show both models online but only the one with out the speed control was in the store near me. I might zip tie the trigger all the way down then get a variable speed control box. Right now I am just holding the trigger manually.

I got lucky and went to two stores and found 1 drill of the old style with the rotary speed dial. I did the same setup as you did and it works awesome. Plus I had one of the 25% off coupons so I think it was like $32.

IMG_0861.jpg

Yeah I might return this drill and order the variable version online.

Just a note...

I bought one of these drills yesterday.

The chuck screw snapped just as I finished crushing 18# of grain.

I'll be taking back.

There is a ingle small Phillips head screw that fixes the chuck to the drill motor. The head of that screw sheared md-head.

I think the screw was defective.

Sweet setup, i have the same barley crusher and after cranking my way through a double grind for 12lbs of grain this weekend I need something like this. My current drill almost burnt out when I tried to hook it up to the grain mill and didn't move it an inch.

To bad I don't have the space to build that out, I will be picking up the harbor freight drill for my next batch though.

Latest posts

Back