Barley Crusher Contact Troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwibrewer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been trying to email the folks at BC products for a few days now to jack up an order to New Zealand but keep getting my emails bounced back undelivered.

Has anyone else been getting troubles with the [email protected] address? Or can anyone from BC products recommend an alternate contact? Also I'm sending from hotmail, will this be showing up as spam to them?

Cheers

Kiwibrewer

I emailed them twice over two weeks with a question, no response either. Then I noticed there was no phone number to contact anyone. Kind of made me think..... they did not want to communicate with me maybe ? No sale here.

Oh boy, I just put in an order with them and wondered why I never got a confirmation email.

Just order it from a reseller. That's what I did as Austin Homebrew Supply gave me free shipping with my order. If I ordered it direct, BC was going to charge something like $20 more. Now I doubt you can get free shipping to New Zealand, but I am sure it will be cheaper then through BC directly. From the sounds of it, they just want to make the product but not deal with customers directly.

i've sent a few emails and no response. i'll give them a few more days then i'll claw back my money via paypal. this is the first time i've ordered something online and didn't get a confirmation email saying "hey, we got your money and your item will be shipped..." weird.

It's too bad really. A lot of people around here really like their mills and have had no problems up to this point. I hope it's just a technical glitch or something. I was really liking the lifetime warranty thought.

I just thought of one other way to try to contact them. I did a WHOIS lookup on the barleycrusher.com domain name. The contact info is privacy protected by the registrar, but these emails should go through. Try these.

Technical Contact
Randall Justice [email protected]

Administrative Contact
Andy Toennies [email protected]

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since ordering mine. It's tough to find any through an online retailer either, most say out of stock.

randy contacted me after i contacted him through paypal. he asked me if i wanted a refund or wait for the mill ans i said what i really wanted was to hear anything from him acknowledging that they got my order. never heard back after that but i know they are still in business. maybe they are just too busy filling orders?

I will vouch that Randy is still in business but very busy. I broke a set screw on my mill and had to send it to him for repair. Great customer service, great product, great price but he's just a little backed up right now so give him some time. It's worth waiting for.

I'm in the Same boat with everyone else here. I placed an order on Feb 1st, and I got an e-mail from them Feb 4 saying they recieved my order and will forward tracking info. however I haven't heard anything back from them.

My guess is they are busy filling orders for all the online retailers since most of them are out of stock. Unfortunately I think the individual direct buy orders get pushed back since the large bulk orders would be a higher priority. Just my guess though. Either way I'm patiently waiting for my crusher.

I guess I got one of the last ones until they catch back up on production. I odered it Jan 4 and recieved it Jan 25. Now I see that they are not on AHS website anymore. So hopefully it is just a temp thing until they catch back up.

After a problem with an order about 10 years ago (boat depthfinder, nothing related to brewing) I came up with a game plan that has served me well 100% since then.

I will NEVER order from an online company that does not have an easy to find phone number, if I have not bought from them previously. PRIOR to placing any order I will call that number and make sure 1) Someone actually answers the phone 2) They speak a form of English I understand 3) They are responsive to my questions and generally seem to be above board.

I made a couple mistakes early on by being too trusting and not following these simple rules. Any online company that does not post an obvious phone number to customer service does not not get one second of consideration from me.

I got an update from Kellie at BC Products.

They are behind on the orders and are playing catch-up. They received my order on Feb 4th, but will probably ship this coming week.

My guess is that when you place a direct order on their website they build the unit after the order is placed. Since the weather has messed up all the shipping in the midwest they probably missed a shipment of raw materials and were delayed in getting the orders out.

It's probably expensive for a small business like theirs to keep a rolling inventory of product that is so specific.

At any rate, all the reviews I've seen both here and on other retailers site lead me to believe this is a quality product.

I got tracking info on my mill on Wed, and it should be here today. It took a little over two weeks for delivery. I haven't heard back from BC Products since the shipment. I think a combination of things occurred that lead to a delay in processing/shipping of the mills. My only suggestion is if you want your mill fast you're better off looking a authorized re-sellers like AHS, Northernbrewer, and MidWest Supplies. They generally carry an inventory in their warehouse instead of shipping from the manufacturer.

My only suggestion is if you want your mill fast you're better off looking a authorized re-sellers like AHS, Northernbrewer, and MidWest Supplies. They generally carry an inventory in their warehouse instead of shipping from the manufacturer.

from AHS:
Barley Crusher Maltmills ship directly from the manufacturer. These can only be shipped to the lower 48 states. If you live outside the lower 48, consider buying them directly from BarleyCrusher.com

OK well that was an Oops. Below is an e-mail I got from NorthernBrewer.

"We stock the Barley Crushers so they ship directly from our warehouse.

Cheers,
Tim
Northern Brewer, Ltd."

I assume the same is with Midwest Supply.

In any case I got my Barley Crusher today. Here's a couple pics. The build quality seems to be worth the wait. I especially like the baffling near the rollers directing the grain right where it should go.

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

I used mine for the second time tonight. I milled 16lbs of grain for brewing a porter tomorrow in about 5 minutes, including time to weigh the grain out. Its supposed to snow all day tomorrow so I will be brewing in my garage. So much better then the old Corona mill I was useing before. It was the best $ I have spent recently on brew gear. :mug:

Well it's a relief to know that others are having the same issues with BC Products! It's been over 2 weeks since I ordered mine and bar the confirmation e-mail I've not heard a peep from them. Given how long it seems to have been for you guys I guessing I will be hearing from them later on this week or early next with my shipping details! I have 25kg sack of grain that needs milling and I am itching to get brewing again!

I ordered the 7 lb. crusher on June first through Paypal. I've had no response from B C as to wether they received the order, or not. I've since sent a few emails and still no response.
How long does it take these guys to get back to a purchaser? I'm getting nervous.....

It took them about a week to respond to emails and about 8 weeks for them to send it out. I wasn't best pleased with them and advised them to update the ordering info reflecting the true delay (which they haven't). Rubbish customer service for such a great product. You could always chase again flag it as ** urgent ** in the subject message and see if that gets you anywhere

Their manufacturer has had difficulty keeping up with demand - I got mine as part of a group buy, and while there was not much problem contacting them, it took quite a while to get them delivered.

Well worth the wait though, IMO.

Back