Bar Build/Basement overhaul... Progress tracker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I decided to do a little experiment to see what the different stones would look like after they have been grouted and epoxied BEFORE I committed to putting it on the bar. I think the Pictures say it all. Both stones look COMPLETELY different with epoxy on them and to be honest I dont think I like either of them! (ignore the crappy epoxy job, it was a test and I'll be honest I was kinda drunk and it was 3 a.m. and I may have set the one side ON FIRE popping bubbles ....... good learning experience I didn't realize you could set the stuff on fire......)

DSCN5727.jpg

DSCN5730.jpg

Before and after. Holy Cow look at the difference!
DSCN5731.jpg

either that or darker stones. Just a thought.

Yeah we def thought about darker stones, I just worry that they will get SUPER dark. I think we are going to try some different stuff. I saw some metals with epoxy on top that have me thinking ....

Thanks for the suggestions. They are very helpful!

I'll bet your glad you did a test! They both look like crap with the light grout. Back to the drawing board!

Bull

Looks like a great project. I have the wheels turning in my head from your post. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the end result.

Guilty as charged, although I didn't expect the mosaic to change so drastically! I didn't see the black and pumpkin colors when they were dry.

Are you going to change the mosaic or keep them and adjust the other colors?

Looking at the finished color, I may try either a dark gray or a black grout.

Bull

I would try the dark stain with the light stones and a darker grout before I totally abandon the Idea.

I would try the dark stain with the light stones and a darker grout before I totally abandon the Idea.

Really? CUz after seeing what it looked like withe epoxy I was ready to jump ship haha.

I started playing with the idea of a metal underlay with epoxy on top and I think i like it. Like this Hammered Copper:

L1000631.jpg

But maybe you are right, perhaps I should give a dark grout a go. Like Bull said, I did not expect the yellows to go pumpkin and the darks to get so dang dark!

If the mosaic are bought and paid for, I'd try to work with it, but if you can return them, I would. All the mosaic's Ive bought in the past are special orders and non-returnable. That can add up quickly!

I did mine in granite and love it. My granite man loved the homebrew so much that he bartered a homebrewing setup for the tops.:rockin:
Worked out on both ends!

Bull

If the mosaic are bought and paid for, I'd try to work with it, but if you can return them, I would. All the mosaic's Ive bought in the past are special orders and non-returnable. That can add up quickly!

I did mine in granite and love it. My granite man loved the homebrew so much that he bartered a homebrewing setup for the tops.:rockin:
Worked out on both ends!

Bull

I only bought a very little amount of the mosaic, and its returnable. I'm not locked into it at all.

I wish I could get some one that would be willing to barter like that. That is awesome!

I got about $1200 worth of granite for $600+/- in a homebrew setup.

He got ; 4 crony's, 20# co2 tank full, 2 brass fridge faucets with shanks, all hook-ups, a turkey fryer setup with ported keggle, 48 qt. mash tun, and an equipment kit with a glass carboy.

Oh, and by the way, did anyone ever tell you that european granite guy's can drink like fish! HA!

Bull

So quick update. Sorry for the lack of updates/pics lately, I've been crazy busy.

I ended up buying copper for the top. www.basiccopper.com

I have a buddy coming over tonight to help my mount it onto some plywood. Hopefully it turns out well. It cost me $175 for two rolls of .005" thick copper. It acts very simialr to a veneer.

Hopefully I'll have some awesome pics for you by the end of tonight!:ban:

Ok, well I still haven't gotten the copper mounted, BUT I did make some pretty damn good progress over the last few days.

PICTURES!

Got the front put on the bar.
DSCN5740.jpg

Got the inside panel up and the shelves built out (still needs a shelf installed).
DSCN5743.jpg

And now for a huge milestone..... 1st coat of stain completed this morning!!!!!!
DSCN5750.jpg

Behind the bar.
DSCN5746.jpg

And a teaser of the copper (although I must say I'm kinda digging the two tone look atm but the copper was super expensive so its getting installed :cross:.
DSCN5752.jpg

What do you guys think?!?

It's gorgeous. If you want to build one at my house...

Haha. I would love to! Holy crap is it taking me forever tho. I'm sitting on like what, 2 months right now? So sad. Can you afford to pay me a salary for the two months It will take me?? :p If only beer paid my mortgage.... Time to go big!

How are you venting the keezer? In the early posts you mentioned a vent on the service side of the bar but I don't see anything obvious in the pics.

How are you venting the keezer? In the early posts you mentioned a vent on the service side of the bar but I don't see anything obvious in the pics.

Good catch. As of right now ... I'm not. But again, I'm in the basement, and the keezer is sitting directly on the concrete. Aurora, CO ground temperature rarely breaks 60 degrees. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm still contemplating adding fans.

Got the copper on the bar with the first coat of epoxy.

Pics.
DSCN5799.jpg

Bar Stools came in. I have 3 more to put together.
DSCN5797.jpg

Coffin Shot.
DSCN5792.jpg

Just the lights.
DSCN5806.jpg

:mug:

Wow...looks really sharp! I especially like the lights under the counter!

:mug:

Thanks! Originally, I just had the light under the taps and then I was like.... NAH! I need them for the whole thing! So i ripped the original switch out and swapped for a higher amp one and wired up the front lights as well. I'm glad I did.

Dude... Love it! I gotta find a copper worker for my keezer top when I make it!

Thanks to you as well! I'll admit, before i used the wire brush on it, the copper was disappointing. I almost ripped it out.... the wire brushing really saved it as it covered up some of the faults in the copper. Some were mine mistakes and some were there when the copper arrived.

Whoa! The copper looks amazing with that wood - and I like the lights underneath the bar a lot... excellent job!

Wow those lights really set it off. What color are they, orange? The bar looks great! Copper came out nice as well! The swirls really add some character, flat copper would have been boring. Good work!

That looks sweet! One question, how hard is the epoxy to do? I have 2 gallons (50/50 mix) sitting here waiting to be poured on my bar, and i'm paranoid as hell to do it. I'm told you will get air bubbles if you don't do it right. Any tips?:mug:

Wildwest, the epoxy is not hard to do. Mix well and pour.
We used a heat gun to grt rid of air bubbles. A little heat, and they pop right out of the top.

That looks sweet! One question, how hard is the epoxy to do? I have 2 gallons (50/50 mix) sitting here waiting to be poured on my bar, and i'm paranoid as hell to do it. I'm told you will get air bubbles if you don't do it right. Any tips?:mug:

Yeah its not too bad. I'm using a propane torch to pop bubbles. Just follow the directions and it turns out nicely. One thing I learned was you can not "touch up" spots. You pretty much have to pour another full flood coat. Which means I will be doing another flood coat tonight ......

The surface tension of the epoxy causes it to not match up properly with teh last coat.

Wow those lights really set it off. What color are they, orange? The bar looks great! Copper came out nice as well! The swirls really add some character, flat copper would have been boring. Good work!

They are actually standard white rope lights. The camera just sucks at no flash shots. It does get a bit of an orange hue as it reflects off the stain tho.

Looks AWESOME! With the copper top I think you need a darker stain and some green accents somewhere...

Yeah, after I got the copper in I felt I could have gone a bit darker with the stain, but I like it as is and it would be a huge effort to change at this point.

The green accent idea is a good one tho! I'll have to think of something for that?

Looks awesome. I'm finally making some noticeable headway on my bar too and am coming to the point of running electric and choosing tops. You reminded me that I've got a crap ton of that rope lighting in the garage never even opened. Thanks :D

Wow, bar looks awesome, I'm sure you can't wait to "break it in".

I may have missed it, but how are you cooling the beer lines in the coffin box? Also, I have some rope lights and those suckers get hot, are yours mounted inside the coffin w/ the beer lines? If so, seems you'd need to work extra hard keeping your beer lines cool.

Back