Bar Build/Basement overhaul... Progress tracker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I challenge you to find a straight line anywhere in thae basement I've been finishing!

I hear that!! I am pretty sure I would fail in those efforts. It makes exact cuts nearly impossible. I almost think I should have moved the whole assembly like 2 inches off the wall and made another split in the top for where the lid came up so that I could have a stationary piece up agaisnt the wall at all times. Lesson learned. Too late to turn back now tho.:tank:

Don't worry ur design is going to work look nice and be very, very workable and regarding Ur words "Originally posted by cruelkix"

I wondered if the hinge was going to hold all the weight but it seems to be holding up nicely. There is still probably like 50lbs more of stuff going on top of it so it better be strong ha-ha.
unless Ur using sorry ass brass hinges and fittings u shouldn't have a prob the way it is and it doesn't look like those are wall mart hinges. lol no offense to wall mart guys(just some of the stuff they sell is well cr@p). The wood is strong and if u seal it up, might give u an added 30 plus pounds of strength. keep it up man, just tell ur self soon i can sit at my own bar drink my own brew and no one but the wife can but in.

how bout the tap u got that picked yet man? or did i miss that?

Don't worry ur design is going to work look nice and be very, very workable

Thanks for the encouraging words!

The hinge is from McMaster and is a nice 4ft long piano hinge which should distribute the weight nicely. I guess I'm just worried about it because I should know better as a mechanical engineer. I should have done the math but was lazy ...... oh well:drunk: It seems to be holding up wel and I'm sure it will be fine. If not, I'll just beef it up.

how bout the tap u got that picked yet man? or did i miss that?

As far as taps go, I have 4 perlick faucets and a stout tap. I will have 4 taps like the design picture. Is that what you were asking?

HUZZAH PROGRESS!!!!

Full bar framed out. Awaiting the good stuff to make it look pretty!!
DSCN5696.jpg

Shoot of the coffin with all 4 taps and drip tray sorta mounted (its mounted, but in the wrong spot ...........)
DSCN5698.jpg

Inside the coffin, excess light rope will be insulated and tucked away soon.
DSCN5693.jpg

Lights out shot!
DSCN5702.jpg

Time to start making the important cuts of wood. I'm going with Red Oak which is damn pricey and of course the wife likes it the best ..... I do too.

looks great. might be a dumb question but how are you getting behind the bar?

The build looks great, I can wait to see it come together. Let me know when its working because I am right down the street in Centennial.

haha, its magic. The first picture really does make it look like there is no opening in the wall. If you look at the first post in the thread you'll see the design pic that shows a doorway on the left. Amazing how pictures can do tricky things.

Here ya go.

DSCN5706.jpg

The build looks great, I can wait to see it come together. Let me know when its working because I am right down the street in Centennial.

The taps work my friend. You are welcome over anytime. I have a Russian imperial stout and a IIPA on tap with a pomegranate wheat and a Belgian strong in fermenters.

You should wait until I have bar stools to get the full experience tho :p

haha, its magic. The first picture really does make it look like there is no opening in the wall. If you look at the first post in the thread you'll see the design pic that shows a doorway on the left. Amazing how pictures can do tricky things.

Here ya go.

lol. I was really thinking that you forgot to make an entrance to your bar.

Looks great man!

More progress! I know its been a while but I havent had much time to work. This is pretty minor progress.

Got the first layer of red oak on the table.
DSCN5712.jpg

(pay no attention to the heiny keg in teh bottom right corner, i'm trying to convert it for homebrew use for a friend. DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!!)

Got the switch for the light installed/mostly hidden(its a lever toggle switch, its the little black dot in the pic haha):
DSCN5713.jpg

DSCN5715.jpg

Now along with the progress I need ya'lls help. The wife and I are in disagreement.

I need votes on stain and which stone to go with. I'll tell you who wanted what after the votes are completed!! Please pick a stone style and a stain color.
Left stone is #1, right stone is #2.
Right(Light/Top) stain is #1, Left(Dark/Bottom) stain is #2

DSCN5721.jpg

DSCN5711.jpg

DSCN5710.jpg

OMG please help!!

Dang guys, you are all 50/50 spliting the wife and I!!!

So lets say that the dark stain MUST go with the lighter stone and the stone with the darker rocks MUST go with the lighter stain. What then? (cuz to be honest in real life the dark stain really does not look good with the darker stone.... sorry....)

Dang guys, you are all 50/50 spliting the wife and I!!!

So lets say that the dark stain MUST go with the lighter stone and the stone with the darker rocks MUST go with the lighter stain. What then? (cuz to be honest in real life the dark stain really does not look good with the darker stone.... sorry....)

Well if I must settle on my second choice I'll say go with the dark stain and light stone. I figure you'll see the wood from pretty much anywhere in the room but the stone will only be a focal point when you're at the bar.

What is the grout color? I would go with a neutral biege and then use the darker mixed stone for your contrast. Either stain color will go.IMO
Bull

What are those "Tower plugs" you're using? i've been thinking about installing dual towers, but plugging one when not in use. are they commercial?

What are those "Tower plugs" you're using? i've been thinking about installing dual towers, but plugging one when not in use. are they commercial?

I'm sorry. I'm not sure what you're asking about? Why would you want to plug up one of your towers? When it's not is use it just sits there. No harm.

What is the grout color? I would go with a neutral biege and then use the darker mixed stone for your contrast. Either stain color will go.IMO
Bull

I think this is what I'm leaning towards as well. Thanks everyone for your votes its been helpful. Keep them coming.

Personally I would not go with a mosaic like that in an area that might, GASP, have wine spilled on it. Grout will stain (unless you use epoxy) and so will natural stone (especially porous stuff like you have shown here)... If you go with a minimally porous and smooth finished stone, you are much less likely to see it ruined by an accidental spill and if you go with something that isn't going to have as much total grout surface area, you can go with epoxy without breaking the bank.

I know it is something that I would be constantly worried/concerned about, but that's just me.

Personally I would not go with a mosaic like that in an area that might, GASP, have wine spilled on it. Grout will stain (unless you use epoxy) and so will natural stone (especially porous stuff like you have shown here)... If you go with a minimally porous and smooth finished stone, you are much less likely to see it ruined by an accidental spill and if you go with something that isn't going to have as much total grout surface area, you can go with epoxy without breaking the bank.

I know it is something that I would be constantly worried/concerned about, but that's just me.

I totally agree, but I had planned on epoxying it from the beginning. I want the surface of the bar to be flat. How else do you slide ice cold brews down the bar to your friends?

The pictures in post #6 and #17; there looks like a PVC insert with a metal cap.
I have a fishtank that sits on top of my small fridge, and for my waves of usage, i have thought about being able to plug the tower hole when i have a few batches of bottles in there (3-6 wks) or sliding my fishtank back 6 inches and slapping on my tower when i keg up a few batches (3-6 wks). I heard this technique from a guys in my LHBS once about this approach - haven't seen anything like it since your pics. Nice build by the way!!

For what it's worth, dark stain and light stone. A bar just doesn't feel right to me without dark stain.

Love the progress and project! Very nice!

The pictures in post #6 and #17; there looks like a PVC insert with a metal cap.
I have a fishtank that sits on top of my small fridge, and for my waves of usage, i have thought about being able to plug the tower hole when i have a few batches of bottles in there (3-6 wks) or sliding my fishtank back 6 inches and slapping on my tower when i keg up a few batches (3-6 wks). I heard this technique from a guys in my LHBS once about this approach - haven't seen anything like it since your pics. Nice build by the way!!

Yeah soooo, that metal cap was just the cap on the top of the tower that i was using to cover the hole that was left after I removed the tower. I didn't have any fancy method for plugging it. Sorry.

However!! You could very easily glue in a piece of pvc with a removable cap, which would allow you to plug the hole. I mean, its a freezer. Cold air stays at the bottom. I left this thing with holes all over it atm (i'm going to plug them later) and to be honest, its not noticeably turning on or off any more than it normally does. You can find freezers like this with no lid on them all the time at grocery stores and such and they aren't god awfully inefficient that way. Obviously better with a lid.

I would think your bigger concern would be coming up with a quick way to remove and reattach the tower. You could always cover the hole with the fish tank haha.

Latest posts

Back