Banjo Burner (BG14) / brew stand HELP PLEASE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frettfreak

Reaction score
I wanted to upgrade my burner setup a little and bought a banjo burner BG14 and decided to have a stand fabricated by a friend. i had him build what i thought looked like a failry standard stand from what i have seen, but i wanted somethign that could be welded into a single tier setup at a later date as well.

What we ended up doing was making an 18x18 brew stand (about 12 inches high) out of 2" steel tubing. I bought the BG14 and a 30 psi regulator to be installed in it.

Here are my current problems that i am looking for solutions to:

a: flames literally come out from all sides of the kettle and shoot up the side of it. I just melted my valve handle after 2 minutes. the obvious answer here is to turn it down ( and it wasnt open fully either) but whats the point of such a big burner and regulator if i just have to turn it down?

b: the entire brew stand (legs and all) gets HOT!!! I have used several burners before an not noticed this happening like it is here.

I will attache pics once it gets a little darker so you can see the flames. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :mug:

update: after trying a 10psi regulator (like the blichmann comes with) i am still having the issue of flames coming up and out the side and burning my handle (not to mention the fact that flames shooting out the sie of my kettle just isnt safe at all).

I am thinking this has to be a stand design issue at this point. Any suggestions on modifications to the design to alleviate these issues??

Without seeing the pics, it sounds like the burner may be too close to the pot, and too much gas may be going to the burner.

Brew on :mug:

Probably need to get the kettle up a bit off the stand, give the gas somewhere to go rather than washing up the sides. Might want to think about low pressure with that big burner.

Todd

Probably need to get the kettle up a bit off the stand, give the gas somewhere to go rather than washing up the sides. Might want to think about low pressure with that big burner.

Todd

I do have the option of natural gas... But is that the only option for low pressure? Or is the low pressure propane?

I do have the option of natural gas... But is that the only option for low pressure? Or is the low pressure propane?

You can run a BG14 from an adjustable 10 psi propane regulator (that's what the Blichmann does.) Works great.

You can run a BG14 from an adjustable 10 psi propane regulator (that's what the Blichmann does.) Works great.

So you have tried this on one? I only ask cause the description on amazon says it only runs on a 10psi reg. I was pretty sure the blichmann used the same burner (at least it looks the same) but wasn't sure if it really was.

If you have done this do you mind me asking how long it takes for a boil? Is it still pretty fast?

So you have tried this on one? I only ask cause the description on amazon says it only runs on a 10psi reg. I was pretty sure the blichmann used the same burner (at least it looks the same) but wasn't sure if it really was.

If you have done this do you mind me asking how long it takes for a boil? Is it still pretty fast?

Yeah, I got a deal on a Blichmann a few months ago. I don't even turn the regulator up to max. I'm brewing today, so will time mash to boil.

Yeah, I got a deal on a Blichmann a few months ago. I don't even turn the regulator up to max. I'm brewing today, so will time mash to boil.

Awesome! Let me know. I really appreciate it. Is the burner in yours an actual bg14? I know they look identical was just wondering of there was any actual difference or just the regulator. Thanks again!

Awesome! Let me know. I really appreciate it. Is the burner in yours an actual bg14? I know they look identical was just wondering of there was any actual difference or just the regulator. Thanks again!

Low pressure (which means less than 1 psi) isn't a problem for this burner (or for a Blichman). If it were a problem you couldn't switch them to natural gas, which is also low pressure. In either case, to switch to low pressure propane you'd need to change to a larger orifice and switch to a low pressure regulator. Probably want to add a needle valve, too, to gain control of the flame, since you are already having a problem with that. To go with natural gas you'd skip the regulator and go to an even larger orifice.

i'll have to look at mine, can't remember if it's a 10psi or 30psi, but I don't have those issues at all with mine. (bg14) Looks pretty much the same distance from surface of burner to bottom of pot as well. I'm guessing that is the supplied wind shield, being the newer version? I had an older one that I had to flip the shield over, they had it the wrong way, and it was like 2 inches off the surface of the burner.
Looks like you adjusted the air valve well, nice blue flames, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I looked at the burner in my Blichmann, but couldn't find any markings. From what I can see it is indistinguishable from a BG14.

Anyway, I turned the 10 psi regulator all the way up, and heated 8.5 gal of strike water from 68˚F to 150˚F in 16 minutes.

i'll have to look at mine, can't remember if it's a 10psi or 30psi, but I don't have those issues at all with mine. (bg14) Looks pretty much the same distance from surface of burner to bottom of pot as well. I'm guessing that is the supplied wind shield, being the newer version? I had an older one that I had to flip the shield over, they had it the wrong way, and it was like 2 inches off the surface of the burner.
Looks like you adjusted the air valve well, nice blue flames, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Mine sits at 3.5" from the bottom of the kettle right now. As far as the wind shield, its actually just a custom made one including the burner stand. yeah the flame looks good to me except the whole rolling up the side of the kettle thing! lol i think i have a 10psi reg on another burner i have and will give that a try today!

Just took 7.5 gal from 142˚F to boil in 17.5 minutes at less than full gas pressure.

Ok, SO i got the 10 PSI reg hooked up and turned on. While the issue is MUCH better and this will likely be the regulator i stick with, there is still flames shooting up the side of the kettle and still burning my valve handle.

This leads me to think i definitely need to change the design of the stand a little but not sure how to do it to alleviate this issue. Any suggestions?

Do you have any of the 2" sq. tubing left?

Shim your kettle / keggle with it in 4 places, and see if increasing the distance helps.

If so, lower your burner that amount.

Edit: You still may need a heat shield for the valve / handle.

A flat piece of steel will work, between the stand and the vessel, under the handle.

Do you have any of the 2" sq. tubing left?

Shim your kettle / keggle with it in 4 places, and see if increasing the distance helps.

If so, lower your burner that amount.

Edit: You still may need a heat shield for the valve / handle.

A flat piece of steel will work, between the stand and the vessel, under the handle.

Out at my buddies place where we did the fab but i can just go get some 1 or 2" square at the hardware store tomorrow and try that. I was kinda thinking along those lines already but wasn't sure. My thought is the pot is touching on all 4 sides of the stand and it leave the 4 corners only open to push all the expanding gasses out.

Will give that a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes! Thanks :rockin:

still burning my valve handle.

Oh, duh, missed that part, sorry.
Yes, definitely a heat shield. I used the one that came with my kettle, but I felt it was too small, as the valve still got too hot, in my opinion.
So, one brew day, I happened to look up and had an old license plate sitting on a shelf.....viola! Yeah, it burned the paint off, but after that, it makes a great shield. No more hot valves, burnt fingers, melted hoses, etc. I kind of have to fumble with it a bit if I move the kettle, and of course have a hot pad at the ready in case I have to move it for some reason. It also is big enough that it covers my sight glass.

Oh, duh, missed that part, sorry.
Yes, definitely a heat shield. I used the one that came with my kettle, but I felt it was too small, as the valve still got too hot, in my opinion.
So, one brew day, I happened to look up and had an old license plate sitting on a shelf.....viola! Yeah, it burned the paint off, but after that, it makes a great shield. No more hot valves, burnt fingers, melted hoses, etc. I kind of have to fumble with it a bit if I move the kettle, and of course have a hot pad at the ready in case I have to move it for some reason. It also is big enough that it covers my sight glass.

Sounds like a good idea. you just lay it down in between the burner and kettle?

Yep, on top of 'grates' such as they are. Occasionally I'll get lucky and have it balanced just right and it doesn't move when I move the kettle. But when I don't and it falls, my natural reaction is to grab it. Yeowtch! Don't do that..... Oh, wait, wrong thread.
Hopefully soon I'll be able to build my rig, and won't have to worry about moving the kettle til it's cool enough to handle.

Alright well the combination of giving the gasses more room to escape and the 10psi reg and I am in business. Used 2 1" square tube just to test and will fab out a permanent solution this week!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. That 10 psi burner was definitely needed. Don't know why they say that a 30 is required. Gonna get it connected to natural gas next!

View attachment 1442182871788.jpg

Quick question, did you change out the orifice on the burner as well as the 10psi regulator?

I have BG14's running on higher pressure too... they could easily boil a 55 gallon drum.
I've moved the burners down to about 6" away, turned down the pressure a bit, and added a wind screen and heat deflectors for the valves. It works OK, but sucks fuel.
The up side is they are nearly silent.
I've purchased and am heading towards 10-jet burners to run on NG.

Here's a banjo burner running on low pressure (something like .5 psi). Even mounted as low as it is (it was just a temporary test setup) and using a keggle containing 11 gallons of water, it was providing about 2 degrees/minute delta-T. Mounted at a normal height, and using a proper kettle, I expect it to do much better. No wasted heat coming up around the kettle; it all goes where needed. Setups with visible escaping flames are very inefficient.

image 3 4 combined.jpg

Here's a banjo burner running on low pressure (something like .5 psi). Even mounted as low as it is (it was just a temporary test setup) and using a keggle containing 11 gallons of water, it was providing about 2 degrees/minute delta-T. Mounted at a normal height, and using a proper kettle, I expect it to do much better. No wasted heat coming up around the kettle; it all goes where needed. Setups with visible escaping flames are very inefficient.

What is your distance from bottom of keggle to top of burner?

Latest posts

Back