Bananas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobjf

Reaction score
So I took the lid off the fermenter and got a whiff of bananas, I know I've seen some post about it but can't find them now. What happened during the fermenting process please let me know this is my first batch and I'm slightly disappointed.

What beer did you attempt to make, what yeast did you use, and what temperature is your bucket sitting at?

It depends, but it probably 1 of 3 things.

1. the type of yeast you used was some type of belgian yeast and it is supposed to do that.

2. you fermented way too high of a temp.

3. you got infected with a wild yeast.

I was brewing listermanns English ipa. I used coopers yeast which is a dry yeast.

Straight from J-Palm himself:

Cooper's Ale (Cooper's)
All-purpose dry ale yeast. It produces a complex woody, fruity beer at warm temperatures. More heat tolerant than other strains, 65-75¡F; recommended for summer brewing. Medium attenuation and flocculation.

Likely not unheard of. Probably making a pretty mean brew actually.

When my buddy and I smelled e batch it smelled like straight alcohol lol it didn't taste bad when we drank it after tasting it after doing a hydrometer test

Sorry for the poor grammar my friend and I have been drinking for a little while now.

i would primary at least three weeks
allow the yeasties to clean up anything they produced early in fermentation (i had an ipa fermented with us-05 that smelled like a peach air freshener a week and a half in the bucket that ended up turning out normal when i bottled at week 5 or 6)

Two weeks is a lot better than a lot of folks on here do with their first beer (some bottling after 4 or 5 days). If it was a wheat beer, I'd be bottling at two weeks too.

Keep in mind that what it tastes like out of the fermenter isn't what it'll taste like after a few weeks carbonating and conditioning in the bottle. That smell may be a sign of beer that's too young that'll go away in a couple weeks. It could be an ester produced by the yeast you used, which wouldn't be unheard of. If you weren't controlling your fermentation temperature, and the 60-65 you speak of was the temperature of the room, you may well have been fermenting the beer itself as high as 75 degrees, at which point it's no wonder it'd kick off some strong esters.

Either way, the best thing to do now is to just let it age a bit. Give it a full three or four weeks in the bottle, and then taste it again.

Ive had this exact issue with both ipa's i tried to make...the first was a combination of high fermentation temp (68+degrees) and the yeast i got added banana ester's...it was actually kinda good.....if it wasn't supposed to be an Ipa. The second time it was again the yeast...

Bu now i have learner to use either an American ale 001 or California ale 1056

Thanks I'll let them hang out in the bottle for a few weeks and taste again.

Im no pro by any means, 4 batches in a little more than the past 2 months actually. But what I can testify to is the importance everyone on this forum stresses on TIME and PATIENCE. Im just now getting to have my first batch(a Brown Ale) taste balanced and tasty after 6 weeks of bottle conditioning while my 2nd batch(an IPA) has been great after 3 weeks of conditioning... My point being....all these guys are right. Let it ferment out and let the yeast clean up for future batches, other than that its just a waiting game. Patience is rewarded.

I did an Irish Red extract kit from NB and used 1272 yeast. when I kegged it, it had a very powerful banana taste to it, almost undrinkable, it was fermented at 60-62F so shouldnt have been from too warm ferm. now it has been 2.5 weeks since kegging and the banana flavor is barely noticeable, i bet in 2 more weeks it will be gone. time usually fixes most funky flavors.

Well it's been a few weeks since I bottled this beer and went to try one it still has the banana smell but reminds me of a dortmunder or a blonde. It's not a bad beer for my first batch ever I just won't ever use coopers yeast again.

Ive been using SafeAle US-05 on 3 out of the 5 batches Ive made and with good satisfaction. Ive also read a lot on here that its been a go to yeast for many brewers. And most importantly...congrats on a successful 1st batch :mug:

Well it's been a few weeks since I bottled this beer and went to try one it still has the banana smell but reminds me of a dortmunder or a blonde. It's not a bad beer for my first batch ever I just won't ever use coopers yeast again.

That's a good plan! I've never made a good beer with Cooper's or Munton's yeast.

Try a good quality yeast like Safale's S05, and keep the fermenter in the mid 60s if you possibly can. That should give you the "cleanest" most yeast neutral flavor.

Thanks! I'm going to be making a German pilsner with an American hoppy taste. I will be using us05 for this batch I will let you guys know how it turns out

I havent lagred anything ive only been making ales but im not sure US-05 will work for lagering. I think the ferm temp is too cold for that yeast. Id check it out to make sure before you try and use it. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Thanks! I'm going to be making a German pilsner with an American hoppy taste. I will be using us05 for this batch I will let you guys know how it turns out

I havent lagred anything ive only been making ales but im not sure US-05 will work for lagering. I think the ferm temp is too cold for that yeast. Id check it out to make sure before you use try and use it. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Without lager yeast, it's not a lager. You can make a "Pilsner-style ale" to cheat the definition...or just call it a Blonde Ale...

Back