Bananas Foster Creamy Ale (All Grain) **pic intensive**

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thoughts on adding the Banana to the boill? I'm generally not a huge fan of going to secondary or tertiary with beer. Mead yes, but not beer.

Was thinking about doing a cheap & easy extract version

6lbs LME (Light? Extra Light? Pilsen?)
same specialty grains as OP
5-8lbs of bananna at boil (not that expensive)
vanilla extract + rum into the keg on keg day.

Thoughts?

Thoughts on adding the Banana to the boill? I'm generally not a huge fan of going to secondary or tertiary with beer. Mead yes, but not beer.

Was thinking about doing a cheap & easy extract version

6lbs LME (Light? Extra Light? Pilsen?)
same specialty grains as OP
5-8lbs of bananna at boil (not that expensive)
vanilla extract + rum into the keg on keg day.

Thoughts?

Sounds interesting enough. I have also heard of people mashing with bananas too. Give it a try, can't hurt.

Bottling day has arrived!

I cant stress enough how awesome this beer taste as of right now. Banana aroma as well as taste and very creamy mouth feel. My wife says i hit the flavor right on the money. What i also like is she said it taste like Bananas Foster, very interesting because she really didn't follow the process, only HBT people knew thats what i was trying to achieve.

I will still be updating this thread and keeping you subscribers in the loop. I dont plan to crack one open until Valentines Day, being that this is a present for my wife.

Cheers! and thanks for the support.

Bottles
faca240a.jpg

Cake
9bf14a7b.jpg

4oz Table Sugar, 1oz Light Brown Sugar, 4oz Rum, 16oz H20 (dissolved)
55ef0565.jpg

Fill er' up please
ef826a04.jpg

just about done
1a073057.jpg

What did not make it to the 48th bottle
0f118d5e.jpg

YUM YUM YUM.

Ok, be honest...how much of your "trub losses" were actually "samples" that you drank throughout bottling? Looks beautiful.

This is actually similar to a banana beer recipe I've been working on but have yet to brew. I'm going for more of a banana bread flavor than bananas foster, but I'm glad to hear you got good aroma and flavor from the 5# of banana. The thing that's been holding me back is deciding how much banana to use and how to add it. From what you're describing 5# sounds perfect.

Can't wait to hear how it tastes after it's carbed and chilled.

this is awesome. i pondered a recipe involving bananas this morning and was wondering how much banana would do the trick to give me a subtle, but present flavor. how has the 5lbs of banana affected the taste? is it strong or overpowering? is it "true" banana flavor?

YUM YUM YUM.

Ok, be honest...how much of your "trub losses" were actually "samples" that you drank throughout bottling? Looks beautiful.

as you can see i under shot 2 cases by 1 bottle, i did pretty good considering how many "gravity readings" i needed to take.;)
oh and i didnt run out of caps, the reason 2 bottles are orange is because i added peanut butter extract to those bottles.
7cd2883b.jpg

the 5# is perfect if your trying to get a great banana flavor as well as aroma. As far as overpowering i cant really say because i feel like that is a matter of opinion, but for what its worth i am very pleased with the strength.

Im glad i used real banana and didnt opt for using a wheat yeast strain for banana esters, or banana extract.

Look delicious! Just curious I know that if I leave a banana sit too long I get fruit flies and from what I've read they can destroy your beer. Any way to stop them? I assume the alcohol would kill them off?

I always buy bananas from the clearance basket at my grocery store. They put the ones that have started getting brown spots on 'em there and sell you like 2 bunches for a $1. IMO they aren't ripe until they are all spotty. You can freeze them and use them for smoothies, banana bread, mush them up to make a soft serve consistency (for those lactose intolerant types) and apparently beer. Freezing them should also keep the fruit flies at bay.

Yeah, just buy some over ripe bananas and throw them in the freezer for a couple weeks. They'll be incredibly mushy when you go to peel them.

I left the bananas on the counter top for about a week, to get nice and brown, then threw them in the freezer for 3 days. I didn't get any fruit flies milling around my kitchen, maybe I was just lucky.

After my wife read this post, she is sending me to the store for ingredients. Thanks for the well written, detailed post!

Probst!

After my wife read this post, she is sending me to the store for ingredients. Thanks for the well written, detailed post!

Probst!

No problem, im sure you and the wife will enjoy it. Any questions along the way just ask.

cracking a bottle open tonight with the wife. i will keep you guys posted, oh i will take pics too.

Looking forward to hearing about the end result. I want to use some of your techniques to incorporate bananas into a dunkel.

I'm always looking for something really different....anxiously waiting for the review of the first bottle like many others.

ok guys i'm here. last night i opened my first one, and it still is barely carbed up, being it is almost 9%abv I figured it would take a little longer than normal. Flavor wise this is spot-on Bananas Foster! I seriously cant wait for this to be carbonated, damn high OG beers!

Here is what she looks like though...
9d04e99c.jpg

Looks lovely. Do you think that 5 lbs of bananas is the magic number or would you add more or less if you brewed this one again?

I love bananas and this is one awesome looking brew!

I honestly wouldn't change a thing on this recipe...all the way down to infusing my Sailor Jerry with vanilla bean 2 weeks prior

One question though, as I'm a better drinker than a chef. How do you split a vanilla bean/where can I buy them?

SuburbanBrewer said:
One question though, as I'm a better drinker than a chef. How do you split a vanilla bean/where can I buy them?

You just slice it lengthwise. I highly recommend finding them in bulk online because if you go walking into the grocery store into the spice aisle (they are sure to have them) they will be happy to sell you 2 shriveled beans crammed into a spice jar for $15, and I'm not exaggerating. You could probably get down to a dollar a bean if you search.

bottlebomber said:
You just slice it lengthwise. I highly recommend finding them in bulk online because if you go walking into the grocery store into the spice aisle (they are sure to have them) they will be happy to sell you 2 shriveled beans crammed into a spice jar for $15, and I'm not exaggerating. You could probably get down to a dollar a bean if you search.

Thanks!

SuburbanBrewer said:

Check out Penzey's online. High quality, always fresh.

Latest posts

Back