Banana Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And we don't want that. Okay, cool. I'll pick up some golden raisins then. Thanks Rowdy.

And thanks for not chewing me out for "bumping" an old thread.

No problem. I left mine in golden raisins for a long time and developed a little too much body. However this was my best wine made to date.

No problem. I left mine in golden raisins for a long time and developed a little too much body. However this was my best wine made to date.

How long is 'too long'? I made up a 1 gal. jug of this on 9/24/11 and racked onto raisins on 11/27 and they are still there. I was planning on leaving them for 4 months.

My raisins are slowly migrating to the top of the jug. I plan on leaving them in there until they are all up there.

FYI - Walmart had bananas on sale for .39 a lb. the other day, so I got 8-10 bunches. Wife was pissed, but any extras can go in the freezer for banana bread. She couldn't understand why I'd buy more bananas before I've even tasted the first batch. Makes sense once you figure out how little it costs to make and how long it takes to mature!

I want to make a 3-5 gallon batch!

My next endevour is a 5 gallon batch my one gallon only yielded 3 bottles and was the best wine I have made to date.

My raisins are slowly migrating to the top of the jug. I plan on leaving them in there until they are all up there.

FYI - Walmart had bananas on sale for .39 a lb. the other day, so I got 8-10 bunches. Wife was pissed, but any extras can go in the freezer for banana bread. She couldn't understand why I'd buy more bananas before I've even tasted the first batch. Makes sense once you figure out how little it costs to make and how long it takes to mature!

I want to make a 3-5 gallon batch!

How long has yours been with the raisins? It's been 2 weeks or more for mine, and they're still on the bottom. Mines a 2.5 gallon batch.

Mine was like a Galileo Thermometer for the first couple weeks then they all settled out I chopped half and the rest went in whole.

Yes, its a powder. I found this additional information on the intra-webs:
Yes there is the difference.
"According to Dr Paul Smith, a chemist at the Australian Wine Research Institute (AWRI) who’s working on tannins, ‘Wine tannins constitute “evolved” grape tannins plus some grape tannins in the same chemical state as they were in the grape.’ Dr Leigh Francis, also of the AWRI, expands on this: ‘Wine tannins are considered more complex than grape tannins due to the various chemical reactions that occur during winemaking and storage'

Further reading in some wine-making forums, it seems that they are close enough for homebrewing wine. (homemaking wine?). Since my LHBS only had this, I'm going to use it. I'll let you know how it works out in two years :)

As always, thanks for the reply Yooper!

peterfuse said:
yeah banana wine is awesome, it was made commercially in tanzania when i was there. was around 9% alcohol and cost about 10p(20cents) a bottle.

Like!

ftlstrings said:
Inspired! Now i just need to be in the same place for a coupla years...

Hahah,I thought exactly the same thing!what we should do is make a huge batch and bury it and make a treasure map!!!

O.k., I finally broke down and started a 5 gallon batch of this tonight. I wanted to start it a year ago, but am impatient and didn't want to wait two years for it. Now, I would be half-way there. This is my first wine, so hopefully it turns out as good as everyone says!

Your very first wine? Heh, I couldn't have standed making a long term recipe for my first one. Make up a batch of Ed's Apfelwein, you'll be drinking in no time!

Your very first wine? Heh, I couldn't have standed making a long term recipe for my first one. Make up a batch of Ed's Apfelwein, you'll be drinking in no time!

I prefer beer over wine, but my wife prefers wine. This helps legitimize my hobby to her. I would like to try some others. Maybe I'll go for the Apfelwein next.

Has anyone ever back sweetened this wine? Results?

I drink 0's so I don't know about back sweetening, but the apfelwein is pretty easy to make and tastes good.

This is my first wine and I'm a little confused about something. When making beer, I don't want to remove the airlock, but I'm supposed to stir this daily for a week. Isn't oxidation a concern? Is that just a difference between wine and beer making? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If the wine is actively fermenting, introducing some oxygen isn't a bad thing. Yeast needs the O2, so a lot of recipes call for aerating the must. With Skeeter Pee, I whip the hell out of it with a whisk a couple times during the fermentation. Once the wine is done fermenting, you don't want to introduce O2. I generally don't aerate after 50% of the sugar is gone.

So, stirring the wine while it's fermenting isn't going to hurt anything. I just made this recipe a few weeks ago, and I stirred it all the time to break up the scum that kept floating to the top (before I racked to 2ndary)

I couldnt find any golden raisins... so i used apricots! it shouldnt affect the color, but hopefully it'll add some panache!

I just started two gallons of this, looks and sounds great. However, I realized I don't have any tannin on hand. Any danger in adding it a few days later or skipping it all together? I think I can always hit the LHBS tomorrow if necessary. Doing a little searching to see if I can determine this myself but anyone with experience I'd appreciate your thoughts.

So I'm a bit of a lurker but I found this recipe a couple years ago, and I didn't read it close enough. I haven't had a bottle in some time, hoping it will improve, but my friend and I used normal raisins instead of golden ones, and the wine tastes a lot like raisins. I bought some golden raisins to compare the taste and they do taste pretty different. Just thought I'd pass along the tip, hopefully someone else can benefit from it.

Ok guys I tasted it again last night, had a bottle. I believe the last time I tasted it was before we bottled, and that was a while ago. The raisin flavor dissipates over time and it blends well with the banana flavor. So if I made it again I would use golden raisins but with normal raisins it didn't turn out poorly after it aged.

Wow, I somehow never saw this thread before making my banana wine! Weird!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/banana-toffee-wine-315909/

I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make, but I mashed my banana (both physically and chemically a la malted barley), didnt use any of the banana skin, and caramelised the sugar. It was a ridiculously active fermentation, but after it calmed down and I racked it, it's looking (and smelling) very nice!

Here is my finished product, bottled on Sunday 4/22/12.

This one had about 1lb of golden raisins and 3lbs of dried apricot.

mc0Yth.jpg

n9Rtbh.jpg

slilzh.jpg

Bought bananas for this last night, going to start a 3 gallon batch....if I have to wait 2 years, might as well make a couple years worth of it. (I assume since I make other wines, I won't drink 15 bottles of this two years...but who knows)

I'm getting ready to rack mine off of the raisins in a few weeks, and will need to top it off. I thought it said to top it off with white wine, but can't find it in the thread. What kind of white wine should I top it off with?
Thanks,
wickerman

I'm getting ready to rack mine off of the raisins in a few weeks, and will need to top it off. I thought it said to top it off with white wine, but can't find it in the thread. What kind of white wine should I top it off with?
Thanks,
wickerman

I've used sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio with good results.

Does this make 1 gal????

Yes.

Racked 4 gallons into a carboy last night. The bucket was filled right to the 4 gallon mark so I grabbed a couple of extra containers so I could keep the extra for topping off. I put 4 boxes of raisins in the carboy and filled it up and I had just over 1 qt. of extra wine remaining.

I thought the carboy was a 2.5 gallon, but maybe it was a 3 gallon? There was a fair amount of lees on the bottom of the bucket.

We watched the whole War Horse movie while I chopped those darned raisins. I gotta find a faster method...

Latest posts

Back