Banana wine is super thick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pctech101

Reaction score
I filled a brew back with lots of peeled bananas.
I fermented it in a 8g fermenter.
Around day 3 of ferment I squeezed the brew bag a lot.
Day 5 it foamed so bad, blocked my airlock, blew the lid loose, big mess of slimy liquid all over floor.
I took brew bag out.
I keep diluting it but its thick. I'm only 10 days in on ferment.
It tastes banana-eee.
Do I just let it set after it's done bubbling and transferred from fermenter or will I likely need to filter the liquid somehow to thin it down?

If you're only ten days into primary, why do you have an airlock? I have an apple-banana wine in secondary right now, and I had to add a lot of water to blend the banana at the start. Once I put it in secondary it took off again and burped into my airlock. Fortunately I caught it quickly. Banana is a pain to deal with in my experience.

If you're only ten days into primary, why do you have an airlock? I have an apple-banana wine in secondary right now, and I had to add a lot of water to blend the banana at the start. Once I put it in secondary it took off again and burped into my airlock. Fortunately I caught it quickly. Banana is a pain to deal with in my experience.
My first banana I did by recipe and it turned out delicious.
This time I just threw things together. Maybe too many bananas this go round.
Airlock on primary to stop the lid from popping off because of gas build up in the fermenter.

Is it best to just add water till it's the right thickness/consistency and add more sugar for the additional water? I Started with 6g of water and am at 9g currently. Maybe I should get out my other 5g bucket...

When in primary, I keep mine in a bucket with an open lid clamping down over a paper towel. No pressure buildup. This how I primary all my wines. With banana you do have to be careful about stirring the cap under more often - twice a day.

Back