Banana flavor in my Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chief_joe500

Reaction score
Ive read about the banana flavors and all that due to high ferment temps. I'm doing a Kolsch w/ Wyeast Kolsch yeast. Took taste at primary to secondary transfer- taste great- took taste at a gravity reading-taste great-on bottling day took a taste-taste great. On my last bottle shike bottling it came up short so I poured in a glass and it sat there about 5 minutes. Then i took a drink and it tasted like bananas. Think all batch will now taste like that? Was it just beer exposed to oxygen that quickly made the flavor come on? I fermented in garage at low 60's yeast took off like crazy-but was gone for few days and cold snap hit and temp got to 50 so i brought back in and finish ferment at 63 for another week-secondary same temp for 2 weeks

It's odd that it tasted so much different from pre-bottling taste to the leftover taste. Is it possible there was a bunch of yeast in that sample? Or was the temperature a lot higher?

Not alot of yeast and temp was pretty steady low 60's. I just took another taste and even stronger. Could it be that its just oxygen getting to it. Weird it went from tasting like uncarbonated beer to bananas in a few minutes. Usually they say this flavor is from high ferment temps, were as mine was on the cooler side

Back