Banana Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just wanted to give an update. This came down to 1.016 or so but would not budge. I have some unfermentables in there somewhere... ohh well.. what can you do ??? Anyway I racked ontop of 5 lbs of bananas and the fermentation kicked off again (yet again more proof that it was not the yeast but was nothing left to ferment :( ).

I agree with you about the lack of crazy fermentation with the bananas. I barely got a haze overtop of them of krausen and never saw a blip from the blow off i setup. I now have an airlock and definitely see activity from it which makes me feel good. It has been on the bananas for a week.. i am impatiently awaiting the next two weeks so that I can rack it off the bananas. I am going to take your idea and let it go to a tertiary and cold crash it there. Then just two weeks to carb this bad boy up.

Reviving an old thread. I was scouting out a 'banana beer' recipe and ran across this. How did this turn out?

I thought it was ok. My batch was not really a session beer. I added vanilla and it was not dry, more sweet. My beer had a bottling flaw. It was over carbonated and too much yeast.

When I first started home brewing I made several fruit beers. They were not my favorites. Rookie mistakes were the main culprit,or fruit beer is not my thing.

i have a version of this beer sitting in primary right now chugging away. i will update here my results and recipe, if it comes out alright.

Update: blow off tube added at 4:30am. The fermentation is vigorous!
2a14d0d2.jpg

I've been thinking about doing a banana flavored beer for a while now when I came across this thread. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried adding banana extract when bottling to achieve that banana flavor. Recently I've been trying to create my own flavored extracts at home (banana, chocolate, vanilla, bacon :), etc.). For the banana extract, I sliced up about 3/4 of a very ripe banana and added it to a glass jar with 2 ounces vodka and 1 ounce purified water. It's been sitting for a little over a week now and I plan on filtering the liquid out this weekend. I mix it every day and take a whiff and it smells VERY banana-ee. I was thinking about adding it at bottling. Has anyone ever tried this and had success?

I've been thinking about doing a banana flavored beer for a while now when I came across this thread. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried adding banana extract when bottling to achieve that banana flavor. Recently I've been trying to create my own flavored extracts at home (banana, chocolate, vanilla, bacon :), etc.). For the banana extract, I sliced up about 3/4 of a very ripe banana and added it to a glass jar with 2 ounces vodka and 1 ounce purified water. It's been sitting for a little over a week now and I plan on filtering the liquid out this weekend. I mix it every day and take a whiff and it smells VERY banana-ee. I was thinking about adding it at bottling. Has anyone ever tried this and had success?

That would probably work, that's the simple method of making vanilla extract. Vanilla beans from Madagascar and some vodka. Heard of people doing the same with bacon beer.

Now you got me thinking of making a bacon beer. :D

Been thinking of making some strange beer.

Bacon beer sounds delicious! I got that idea from an episode of Drinking Made Easy where a bar in Vegas makes bacon infused vodka. They take a cooked piece of smoked bacon and stick it in a vodka bottle for a while until it almost looks raw. THAT I'd like to try!
As far as the banana extract, have you heard of how much to add at bottling? The stuff seems pretty concentrated.

There's a bar here that does a bacon infused bourbon and makes a drink with it called a Cat 5. kind of like a bloody mary, but with a twist of gumbo roux, local made steak seasoning on the rim of the glass. it's a Cajun/ hurricane thing.

have you ever tried Rougue's maple bacon porter? its very different to say the least.

if i was going to do a bacon i would probably do about a 1 gallon batch for experimentation.

Back