Banana Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! I have been wanting to make a banana beer for SO LONG!!! I'm REALLY impressed with this beer. I couldnt find any info on bananas used in beer. Some info for wines, which always included the skins in the boild, but not beers. I've always been interested in making a banana choc stout.... mmmmmmm sounds like a winner to me. I'll be stealing bits from this recipe to make that. thanks man! :mug:

Cool - Post your recipe here when you have it formulated.

Really interesting and tempting experiment. I admire your innovation. I may make a mini-batch. Your idea reminds me of "Wells Banana Bread Beer." It was pretty good, and was definitely the most interesting fruit beer I've ever had. I saw that in the store and it was just too off-the-beaten-path to ignore. If you haven't tried it, I'd give it a shot, or purposely just leave yourself in the dark and see what you think of yours. Either way, you can't lose.

Also, here's another link to banana beer from this forum.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/thinking-about-making-banana-beer-19338/

I remember there being a banana ale in the recipe database, but they didn't use any bananas. Probably a hefe variant. I don't remember. Keep us posted!

So how well did they age? Did the bananna drop out a bit?

The banana aroma & flavor did not drop out at all. I think it was about the same on Thursday as it was back in April or May. The biggest change I saw was with the slight estery yeasty flavor dropping out completely. Which I think was typical on any of my really young beers.

I've started brewing All Grain. Dropped the 1,2,3 rule. I keep the wort in the primary about 3 weeks, rack to 2ndary for 2-4 weeks then bottle. Almost everything that I have made this way has been quite drinkable at bottling, not to mention pristine from a clarity point.

When I do this again, I won't use hopped extract and I'll use a tertiary when the banana all ferments out in the 2ndary. Just another step to let the yeast drop out.

All those bananas gave their lives for this beer when you could've just fermented high!:fro:

dumb question -- are the banana flakes the same thing as the dried banana "slices" or "chips"? If not, where do you buy them?

Yes they are the same. I used dried banana chips.

If or when you drop them in the boil don't freak when you see slight bit of oil on the wort. This didn't hurt fermentation or head retention in the least bit. I believe they have a tiny bit of coconut oil on them.

Mine were great-value brand from Walmart.

The evilness of this thread is slowly pulling me in. I feel the need to brew a choco-banana stout. Oh gawd, I'm on my way to cherry cream ales and strawberry rhubarb ambers:eek:

Yes they are the same. I used dried banana chips.

If or when you drop them in the boil don't freak when you see slight bit of oil on the wort. This didn't hurt fermentation or head retention in the least bit. I believe they have a tiny bit of coconut oil on them.

Mine were great-value brand from Walmart.
Just came across this thread. I've always like the banana character of a german weiss more than the clove. Great idea, I'm going to try this on my next german wheat.

Cherry Cream Ale...... now that sounds pretty good too.. any suggestions on a recipe?

:off:

I might have a recipe at home in one of my books. As a guideline take any cream ale recipe. Ferment completely in the primary, then addd fruit to the 2ndary and use 2 -16oz cans Oregon Brand Cherries, unsweetened. I would use one of these three; (they are pasturized and common in my local grociers)

- Dark Sweet Cherries
- Royal Anne Cherries
- Red Tart Cherries

Products - Consumer Products - Oregon Fruit

I'd stay away from the tart unless you really want that. Dark Sweet would be good in a Cream Stout. Then rack over to a 3rd fermentor for clearing.

one more question -- do you do anything special to the 5# of bananas in the secondary or do you just peel, slice 'em and throw them in?

I just peeled and slice them into a sanitized tupperware tub (sitting on a scale) until I got 5 lbs of banana. I dropped them into a sanitized bucket then siphoned over them.

I think its important that the fermentation is done since you don't know the effect of the banana. The complete fermentation with all the alcohol would help prevent chances of infection.

Also my bananas were firm and yellow too, none of which were green or ripe.

Fermentation takes at least 21 days so be patient. :ban:

thanks for all the info and prompt responses. I think I'm ready to brew this. I picked up some ingredients this past weekend and now I just need to bottle my Dunkelweissen to free up a primary. Any thoughts on adding flaked oats to the grains?

Flaked oats? I haven't used them yet in anything, but it might make a nice twist. Don't know how much to use, BYO had an article last not too long ago. You can hit BYO website and search for oats.

I've got a bunch of bananas from my backyard and I think I'm going to try something like this (mostly b/c I'm too impatient to make banana wine, and I'm not a fan of hefes). Has anyone else tried this over the last year?

No that I have heard. Make a standard cream ale then wack it with bananas in the 2ndary.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk]YouTube - You can do it montage.[/ame]

Bananas are used in wine making and add body to the wine, so I would expect it would do likewise with a beer. The recipes I have encountered in making wine have indicated that you should boil the bananas and skim off the scum that forms on top then cool the mixture and use this in the batch.

I would expect you would have some significant sediment from using raw ripe bananas in your beer, but can not state that in fact. I made up a batch of Chocolate/Banana wine and still have it aging in my cellar. It has been a year now and it is just now getting to the point of being a good wine.

I hope your Banana Creme Ale comes out well and look forward to seeing your sample post soon.

Salute! :mug:

Edit: Unripened or under ripe bananas are more starch than sugar. Banana's convert starch to sugar as they ripen. I think this is true, but can't be absolutely certain. It's late and I am at work.

Can ya tell I am bored at work tonight?

A few good reasons for adding bananas to your beer!

Bananas can help cure or prevent hangovers. The main causes of hangovers are dehydration and depletion of potassium, both direct results of alcohol consumption.

Bananas are an excellent source of potassium (second only to the avocado) with over 450 mg. per one banana serving, as well as being high in magnesium, which can help relax those pounding blood vessels causing that nasty hangover headache.

Bananas also contain tryptophan, the same amino acid found in turkey that makes you sleepy, as well as high amounts of vitamin C.

So, if you're out partying and want to avoid a hangover, drink sixteen ounces of water and eat a banana before heading for bed for a good night's sleep.

Can ya tell I am bored at work tonight?

A few good reasons for adding bananas to your beer!

Bananas can help cure or prevent hangovers. The main causes of hangovers are dehydration and depletion of potassium, both direct results of alcohol consumption.

Bananas are an excellent source of potassium (second only to the avocado) with over 450 mg. per one banana serving, as well as being high in magnesium, which can help relax those pounding blood vessels causing that nasty hangover headache.

Bananas also contain tryptophan, the same amino acid found in turkey that makes you sleepy, as well as high amounts of vitamin C.

So, if you're out partying and want to avoid a hangover, drink sixteen ounces of water and eat a banana before heading for bed for a good night's sleep.

I will fix this for you!!!!

So, if you're out partying and want to avoid a hangover, drink sixteen ounces of "banana cream ale" before heading for bed for a good night's sleep.
:ban:
banana_sex.gif

will a 7 gallon plastic bucket be enough for a 5 gallon batch plus the bananas?

I guess i will lose a little pulling the beer of the yeast cake too

schlenkerla, one more ? for you... can you give me an idea of which hops would be appropriate for a beer like this?

VCCA uses a few - what would you suggest?

1 oz Cascade (6.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.25 oz Perle (6.1%) - added during boil, boiled 40 min
.5 oz Czech Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
.5 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

I will use beersmith to get the IBU you suggested, i am just looking for which types of hops. Should i follow a hop schedule like the one above or add all at once? Hoping to brew this sometime this week... hope my schedule allows for it.

One of the German varieties would be the best choice. They are pretty neutral taste-wise. Target a 18-25 ibu with a 60 min bittering. Thats it.

i have this in primary right now and am about to move to secondary ( i hope LOL). Is the final gravity BEFORE adding / fermenting out the bananas or after?

if after, what was yours before you racked ontop of the bananas.

i have this in primary right now and am about to move to secondary ( i hope LOL). Is the final gravity BEFORE adding / fermenting out the bananas or after?

if after, what was yours before you racked on top of the bananas.

I didn't check it. I don't think it matters. Make sure to let it sit 3 weeks on the bananas. If you have the extra fermentor, I'd rack it back to one to make sure its all puttered out. No gas passing. FG of 1.008-.012 is prolly about right. I don't know how much sugar gets extracted from the bananas. My beer was good but it was way over carbed. It wasn't quite done when I bottled. I didn't have bombs but I had to vent the beer slowly and let it breath for a bit before I poured the beer.

Definitely use a 3rd fermentor!

okay i will definitely do that then. I think my fing notty ****ted out on me. I am still at 1.032 in primary at two weeks. I am ticked. I had some s-04 which i pitched last night so hopefully this thing ferments out all the way.

I am an impatient brewer LOL. I dont even drink that much homebrew, but I just like instant gratification. wrong hobby i know lol.

my blonde is running low in my keg, so i need to get another ready and this two week delay doesnt help.

just wanted to give an update. This came down to 1.016 or so but would not budge. I have some unfermentables in there somewhere... ohh well.. what can you do ??? Anyway I racked ontop of 5 lbs of bananas and the fermentation kicked off again (yet again more proof that it was not the yeast but was nothing left to ferment :( ).

I agree with you about the lack of crazy fermentation with the bananas. I barely got a haze overtop of them of krausen and never saw a blip from the blow off i setup. I now have an airlock and definitely see activity from it which makes me feel good. It has been on the bananas for a week.. i am impatiently awaiting the next two weeks so that I can rack it off the bananas. I am going to take your idea and let it go to a tertiary and cold crash it there. Then just two weeks to carb this bad boy up.

thought I'd check back in on this thread... good to see there's still some interest in the banana cream ale. Mine's getting close to 1 year old now and I still have a lot of it left. Haven't drank any of it in a while, so I probably should put another sixer in the fridge...

Good call on the tertiary -- I did, and it was well worth it.

thought I'd check back in on this thread... good to see there's still some interest in the banana cream ale. Mine's getting close to 1 year old now and I still have a lot of it left. Haven't drank any of it in a while, so I probably should put another sixer in the fridge...

Good call on the tertiary -- I did, and it was well worth it.

Tom - How is your beer at 12 months? Its not something you want to drink as a session. How do you like it taste wise? Has it changed at all?

What was your recipe?

Good stuff after 1 year. You're right -- definitely not a session beer. It has a lot of body due to the malto-dextrine, lactose & KreamyX.

The banana & vanilla aroma has mellowed somewhat over time. The taste really hasn't changed too much, but it has "come together" you might say as many beers do with some age.

The recipe is here in this thread (was glad I remembered this -- didn't feel like typing it in :) ):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/more-banana-cream-ale-88363/

I'll do this again someday, just not sure what, if any, changes I'd make to the recipe. Always looking for suggestions!

I never did get around to posting those pictures :(. Mine turned out pretty similar in color to your; maybe just a touch lighter.

After finding this thread again, I just had to grab a Banana Cream Ale from the fridge!

Let me resurrect this one from the cobwebs.....I just came across this and I think I will brew it, maybe near the end of the month. looks delicious!

I'm considering it as well!

I think I may want to do a porter, however.

As a baby-brewer still..... can anyone make me some recipe reccomendations to brew an extract banana porter?

Back