Banana/bubblegum off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squidmanoo7

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a few brews with gallons of water no off flavors....started using city water n all my brews have this off flavor of bananas what causes this. I have used campden tablets. still got it

Fermenting warm, more than 70 F (or 21 C) will cause these flavors with some yeasts. Ferment cooler, in the low 60s, from now on and forever. Also, underpitching the yeast can contribute to this as well. If you're not making a yeast starter with every batch, you really need to, especially with White Labs yeast. It helps wake up the yeast and get them starting to think about multiplying, and prevents stressing them out which can cause off-flavors.

fermenting warm, more than 70 f (or 21 c) will cause these flavors with some yeasts. Ferment cooler, in the low 60s, from now on and forever. Also, underpitching the yeast can contribute to this as well. If you're not making a yeast starter with every batch, you really need to, especially with white labs yeast. It helps wake up the yeast and get them starting to think about multiplying, and prevents stressing them out which can cause off-flavors.

+1

Fermenting warm, more than 70 F (or 21 C) will cause these flavors with some yeasts. Ferment cooler, in the low 60s, from now on and forever.

Not necessarily. It just depends what flavor your going for. Some yeast is better with higher temps.

Also, depending on the yeast, the presence of too many simple chain sugars will cause an over production of the banana ester in beer. What was your Specific Gravity of the wort going into the carboy, and what was your mash temp?

Back