banana bread wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyd

Reaction score
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35.49 ml] Yeast 5 -
7 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract or dry (prob do a mix of both) (8.0 SRM) Extract 1 93.3 %
8.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 6 6.7 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 4 2.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 2 7.1 IBUs
0.10 oz Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 3 -
notes :steep 6 cooked bananas and 1lb roasted wallnuts
use clove honey
40min boil
Questions:1. will the nuts add too much fat and ruin the head and how can i counteract this
2. how do i add a bready flav to the beer
3. is there a better way to add bananas
4. any changes that u guys would make with the recipe

yeah you can add banana puree to the secondary carmelized abit or fresh, not sure about the nuts, sounds cool though. I just made a stout with some raw cocoa nibs and it added some nuttiness bitterness to it but not too much fat, didnt use a whole lb though.

for a more bready flavor you could add some munich and cara munich as well as aromatic and biscuit malt. You should remake this as a partial mash for sure.

thanks so much for the info... im making a Chocolate Vanilla stout next week and wanted to know when u added the cocoa nibs... i found cocoa powder with only 10% fat that im going to use. i figured 1lb with 5 min left in the boil

yeah i did it at the last 10 minutes i think. it was only maybe half a cup though, just experimenting a little. Let me know how it turns out.

Maybe crystal wheat malt for the bread-like flavor.

Briess describes their Caracrystal® Wheat Malt as:
Malty, bready, subtle caramel, toffee flavors

ill use 25% Caracrystal® Wheat Malt, 10% biscuit malt, 5% honey, 5%Roasted Barley and the rest Wheat Liquid Extract... it just sucks to have throw away all the extra roasted barey but i want a little of a toasted flavor.. all ill need is like 1 lb of biscuit and 3lbs of wheat malt for a 5 gallon batch

the finished recipe is:
Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -
6 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 4 57.1 %
8.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 9 4.8 %
0.10 oz Cinnamon Stick (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 6 -
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.5 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 10.5 IBUs
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 23.8 %
0.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 7 0.6 IBUs
Notes: steep 6 cooked bananas and 1lb roasted wallnuts
use clove honey
use Caracrystal® Wheat Malt

Cool! I love banana bread!

I had a beer (smoked wee heavy) that smelled exactly like fresh banana bread while it was in primary, but unfortunately, that smell went away and now it smells and tastes NOTHING like banana bread.

Let us know how it turns out!!!

will do... i have a honey green tea pale ale im bottling next weekend if u want to kno how that one goes too

The yeast you are using should produce banana and clove flavors on its own. I'm not sure if you were trying to add extra flavor or if you just didn't realize that going in, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Steeping nuts is very unlikely to work out like you think. Walnuts especially are likely just going to add a lot of bitterness and astringency.

You know when you eat walnuts plain, they seem to kind of dry out your mouth? That's precisely what astringency is. And yep, that's caused by a REALLY high level of tannins.

I strongly suggest making a walnut "tea" first, using (to approximate a similar level) a half-ounce of nuts in a pint of water. That way you can see whether it's something you really want to put into your beer, without potentially ruining a batch.

Even hazelnut (which is used far more often in beer) is the same way, despite being considerably less extreme than walnuts. And even hazelnut pretty much requires you to resort to a commercial extract if you want some of that character in your beer.

And... not to stir up even more crap, but what are you hoping to accomplish with the honey? That's not meant to be a dickish rhetorical question btw... I'm honestly wondering.

thats why i picked it... i want a real banana taste. the yeast and real bananas should really bring the flav out

the honey will be added to the the wort at peak fermentation to add a sweet fav and also to add sugar to the yeast. this is not going to be a "BEER" beer. im adding fruit to it! this is for a fun weird taste/experiment. Its banana bread beer so why not make it so it taste like it

ohh thanks for the idea of walnut extract... thats a great idea

K, well the honey will ferment right out and won't add any sweetness. A type of malt called "honey malt" works much better for that purpose.

Back