Banana Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJack887

Reaction score
I'd like to make a banana beer that's somewhat like a sweet brown ale. I have a local brewpub by me that makes a dynamite apple beer where they use apple in the mash and boil. I don't see why I can't do the same for banana (put the bananas in a muslin bag for the boil). Boiling is how you're supposed to make banana wine anyway. If anyone has any advice, please let me know!

I would say find a Bananas Foster recipe and modify it for your secondary. Are you also doing a brown ale as your brewery did? cooking the bananas will sanitize them and the brown sugar will add an awesome twist to the brown ale. I believe cooking the bananas will also make their flavor more available to the brew

This sounds like what you want:
http://lakebeverage.com/product/kuka-banana-nut-brown-ale/
Bananas Foster was the first thing that came to mind when I tried it.

But I don't know how they make it, other than that they say they use real bananas. I would think you'd brew a brown ale and then rack onto bananas in secondary.

Randy Mosher (who thinks of everything) only says "Used in a lambic. Not too common." in Radical Brewing.

I've thought about making a banana-flavored beer by boiling bananas and using a hefeweizen yeast to get some extra banana-y flavor.

Back