Banana Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Wells Banana beer is pretty good. It's about the only beer my Fiance will drink. I wish I could make up some. Anyone know a recipe?

Agreed. The Wells Banana Beer is decent. Kind of expensive though.

My wife & I bought a ****load of green bananas for making pasteles (think tamales but grated green bananas & plantains instead of corn meal). We ended up with 35 bananas left over. So my choices were: eat a lot of bananas or brew with them.

So I made a banana mead. It should be ready to rack to the secondary this weekend.

Anyway, the secret to brewing them is to put them in a mesh bag and pulp them.

My wife & I bought a ****load of green bananas for making pasteles (think tamales but grated green bananas & plantains instead of corn meal). We ended up with 35 bananas left over. So my choices were: eat a lot of bananas or brew with them.

So I made a banana mead. It should be ready to rack to the secondary this weekend.

Anyway, the secret to brewing them is to put them in a mesh bag and pulp them.

Would love to get that recipe

My ears must have been burning. Today is my first day on the forum in at least 4 months.

Even using a mesh bag, the problem I had with this recipe was there was still so much fiber that made its way into the fermenter that I lost the bottom couple inches of the fermenter to sludge. So, get as fine a mesh bag as you can get.

Also, the lavender honey I used turned out to be a Dutch lavender, not an English lavender. Dutch lavender has more camphor and it took that medicinal flavor some time to age.

Recipe for a starting volume of 5 gallons.

11.3 lbs of lavender honey
9.8 lbs of bananas (13.6lbs with skins)
1 lb of raisins
2.5 tsp pectic enzyme

Lavlin 71B-1122 Narbonne yeast

OG: 1.108
FG: 0.994

I crushed the fruit with a potato masher at 130F.

Back