Baltic Porter with licorice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolt

Reaction score
at the beginning sorry for my english.
I'm in the process of producing Baltic Porter 31 BLG. It has been fermenting for a month. I plan to add cocoa, oak and licorice to it. I have never used licorice. How much and for how long should I add it?
This is one of my projects of strong beers for a cold winter;)

I use star anise end of boil for some liquorice character, but that's not much use to you now. You need to experiment with liquorice additions to your Porter. I'd use ground liquorice root. Make a 'tea' and filter it through a coffee filter. Then add measured amounts to, say, 100ml samples of your Porter. When you hit the spot scale up the addition for your remaining Porter.

Got it. All that's left is to experiment. I just don't know how expressive licorice is in cold extraction.

Never used licorice. Sounds good, though. I have a regular (nonBaltic) porter I make with fennel pollen, and refining the recipe has been in exercise in reducing the amount of pollen so as not to be overwhelmed with licorice. Some dumpers along the way.

Thank you for not being one of those people who posts “Hey everyone, I put a bag of Twizzlers in secondary!”

Never used licorice. Sounds good, though. I have a regular (nonBaltic) porter I make with fennel pollen, and refining the recipe has been in exercise in reducing the amount of pollen so as not to be overwhelmed with licorice. Some dumpers along the way.

Thank you for not being one of those people who posts “Hey everyone, I put a bag of Twizzlers in secondary!”
I have been making beer for 10 years. I learned one, additive is an additive ... it's just supposed to be a additional flavor. If the additive is dominant then why focus on the process, malts etc?
However, I do all kinds of crazy things, recently I smoked honey for my bragot :) Yes, honey. Smoked Malt is boring: D

I have been making beer for 10 years. I learned one, additive is an additive ... it's just supposed to be a additional flavor. If the additive is dominant then why focus on the process, malts etc?
However, I do all kinds of crazy things, recently I smoked honey for my bragot :) Yes, honey. Smoked Malt is boring: D
What wood did you use? I've made a number of smoked braggots, though always with small amounts of smoked malt. (Small to me; my sensitivity for smoke is on the low side.) The best one so far used alderwood-smoked malt.

Got it. All that's left is to experiment. I just don't know how expressive licorice is in cold extraction.
This is definitely one of those times I'd make a tincture. Or just use ouzo or absinthe or sambuca or something. Dose in a small amount, and once you've found how much you like, scale up to the batch.

What wood did you use? I've made a number of smoked braggots, though always with small amounts of smoked malt. (Small to me; my sensitivity for smoke is on the low side.) The best one so far used alderwood-smoked malt.
I grew up in the countryside where I ate smoked things since I was a child. Meat, sausage but also fruit (!) ... so I like a lot of smoked flavor.
I used 3 kinds.
Pear + cherry.
Beech + oak
Lime and orange wood.
I also do wild bragot ;)
This is definitely one of those times I'd make a tincture. Or just use ouzo or absinthe or sambuca or something. Dose in a small amount, and once you've found how much you like, scale up to the batch.
I will, but I preferred to ask, it is always worth asking about the experiences of others

Latest posts

Back