Ballast Point now in the bag...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sell out. :p

I'm already RETIRED for 11 years and man let me tell you IT'S A GREAT LIFE. No more work. I bowl 3 days a week, hike 2 days a week and on the other two I brew and or bottle home brew.

Oh yea I"m on a Pacific island, but it's to expensive to buy all of it, but I have my two acres. :mug:

BP is about $18 a sixer here in western PA. Only time I ever get one is if it is something different I haven't tried (like the Habanero Sculpin, which was pretty damn good, that I had recently). There are plenty of just-as-good-if-not-way-better local IPAs out there, so I have seen the same lone 6-pack of regular Sculpin sitting on the shelf at Giant Eagle for weeks or even months at a time.

Still, I'd rather see a brewery opening up a new regional location to boost distribution like Sierra Nevada or New Belgium did...but then again, it's not my brewery. At least they didn't sell to AB-InBev....

What I would like to see is a new major company...let's see, for example, SN buying up a craft brand or two, and expanding that way as well as the way they have expanded geographically!

What I would like to see is a new major company...let's see, for example, SN buying up a craft brand or two, and expanding that way as well as the way they have expanded geographically!

I would expect that from BBC, if anyone. Private companies (like SNBC) don't have nearly the incentive to make acquisitions. Once you're public and the shareholders start demanding more revenue, more profit, less risk. It then gets difficult to grow organically (higher risk, long gestation period) so acquisitions are made of private companies that have already jumped over the heavy risk areas of establishing a successful brand.

BBC has been very successful, so I don't see any obvious need to start acquisitions, but you can bet if they start faltering on their organic growth the idea will be floated.

I bought on six pack of Sculpin and was fairly unimpressed, especially for $14.59. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't worth the cost. I personally prefer Big Eye, and since it runs about $12.99, I like it even more. Longfin is a favorite of my wife, and while it costs a bit much for a lager, it's a damn good beer. As for Grapefruit Sculpin...not bad. I still find it cost prohibitive for a beer to sit around and drink at home/a buddy's house.

This all said, I try not to buy beer if I can help it. My main issue is finding a beer for my wife, who's mostly a lager drinker. I don't have the temp control setup yet for a lager, so I'm of no use to her in that department!

I think what a lot of people are missing is that Constellation is paying $1B and have valued BP in the high 10% of that price. This is what caused a lot of the buyouts and then bust in the Tech Sector. Eventually there will be a balance or there will be lots of court battles because of monopolizing the industry. When Stone can no longer get shelf space because the big 4 or 5 breweries have consolidated and taken all of the space in the local bottle shop.

Back