Ball valve heat shield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popsicleian

Reaction score
Ever since I melted the gaskets on my ball valve a few brews ago, I have been very paranoid about using my burner and try to position my kettle seated off-center to minimize the heat that the ball valve picks up. In doing so, I've noticed that it takes me longer to get to mash temps and then to boiling temps.

I'm interested in some short of heat shield to protect the ball valve so I can move my kettle back over the center of my burner. Brewhardware has one for $10, but I'd rather not pay $7 to ship it. Is there any reason I couldn't use a stainless steel wall plate and stick it under my ball valve? I'm thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005YS7A3I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever works and doesn't melt or catch on fire will be fine.
While I think that faceplate might be a bit small (and the holes don't help your cause) it may work.
A larger piece of mild steel sheet metal picked up from a big box store would work even better...

Cheers!

Call Bobby and discuss the shipping - for something like that maybe he can figure out a cheaper shipping option

Bobby makes a great product.

If appearance isn't important to you, cut up an aluminum can and make your own heat shield.

Or just wrapping the valve in aluminum foil would likely do
the trick...

Order from Bobby, rather than fret over the shipping charge on one small item, add a few more things to your cart to take advantage of combined shipping. :)

Bobby makes a great product.

If appearance isn't important to you, cut up an aluminum can and make your own heat shield.

Or just wrapping the valve in aluminum foil would likely do
the trick...

Order from Bobby, rather than fret over the shipping charge on one small item, add a few more things to your cart to take advantage of combined shipping. :)

I actually tried an aluminum can, but it caught on fire--it must have had some sort of lining.

I'll be brewing tonight or tomorrow morning, so I might give the aluminum foil a shot. If that doesn't work, I'll see if there is anything else I could use from brewhardware to get the combined shipping.

Back