Ball lock keg question (pic inside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lot of the single handled kegs. They are great. They are ever so slightly narrower than my rubber handled kegs. Not even noticeable except that my first kegerator was super snug and the single handle kegs slid in a tad easier. It's easier to remove the posts too since they're not embedded in rubber.

Good to know I didn't know if they were extra old or inferior in some way. It sounds as though they may actually be desirable.

I've got a few of each type also. I am not convinced that the single-handled are actually narrower, or if it is that the rubber-topped type often have the tops re-glued on and some glue gets pushed out around the edges. My rubber-topped ones had a lot of glue sprue around them (both top and bottom, in fact), I trimmed that with a utility knife blade and I now don't notice any difference in how snug they are when I jam them into my keezer.

The full-round handle does provide some protection from crashing the posts together if you are moving the kegs in and out of a tight storage situation. Also, they can stack on top of each other when they aren't in use.

Personally, I prefer the single handle ones because of the hard plastic in the handle and base. The softer rubber ones are nice for handling until the rubber starts breaking down, then it starts leaving black smudges and stains.

Thanks guys I offered him $60 for 2 we will see what he says.
If they're in good shape I'll definitely get at least 2 I think. I currently have one I paid $45 for used and have a sanke keg a friend who owns a brewery game me. Just kegged with the sanke for the first time Monday and cleaning and filling without removing the spear worked well but I'm not sure how easy it will be to clean once yeast and hop particles drop out of my homebrew. Also limited in that I can't dry hop directly into the sanke

I prefer the double-handle ones, because my keezer has a very high collar and I can use two hands to lift those kegs. I have a couple of the single-handed ones and they are significantly harder to lift into my keezer.

I used to buy single handled kegs from CHI company in 4 packs for $80 shipped. Glad I stocked up then, but would've bought more had I known where the market would go.

I think I've paid close to $50 for a ball lock :eek:

I think last summer I got 2 5 gallons and a 3 gallon for $120 or somewhere in there?

So in other words I may be crazy not to snag all four if they are in solid shape? Worst case I re sell if I don't need them. Cheapest I've seen for used around here was the $45 I paid

I should probably just bring a co2 tank and starsan with me to verify these seal on the spot right?

I should probably just bring a co2 tank and starsan with me to verify these seal on the spot right?

It wouldn't hurt if you had a tank you could easily take with you. Keep in mind that, unless the leak is caused by a bad weld, you can always replace the O-Rings.

I would buy all four. What has worked well for me has been to have a few more kegs than I have taps in the kegerator. That way I can have the next batch getting ready while I empty the first.

So just an update.
I took a look today and they were in solid shape and appear to be pretty clean. She said she would take $100 for all 4. I'm happy to say the least!

awesome. replace the gaskets, clean it, make sure they seal Ok and you are ready to go.

"So just an update.
I took a look today and they were in solid shape and appear to be pretty clean. She said she would take $100 for all 4. I'm happy to say the least!
"

I hate you. :mad:

Seriously...that's a hell of a deal. Kegs are like gold now. I had 12, but sold three of mine to a club member. That's the good thing about kegs, if you "have" to sell them, they'll go quick.

I used to work for Coke back in my 20s. They still used the corny kegs back then. I remember all these kegs I had to empty and prep to be clean. Hundreds of them everywhere.

If I knew then what I know now..........

So just an update.

That's the kind of deal where even if two of them were lousy, you still had two good ones for $50 each.

A couple months ago I was able to buy 5 Corny Kegs for $50 each, all of them in good shape. I was tickled to get them for that. You should feel embarrassed that you were able to get four of them for $25 each. :)

:)

So just an update.

That is one hell of a deal.... I wish I could find a deal around here where someone doesn't know the value of what they have. $60-$70 is the going rate around here. You have to be really lucky to find some at $50 or $55.

Pretty soon it will be just as good to just buy new ones.

That's the kind of deal where even if two of them were lousy, you still had two good ones for $50 each.

A couple months ago I was able to buy 5 Corny Kegs for $50 each, all of them in good shape. I was tickled to get them for that. You should feel embarrassed that you were able to get four of them for $25 each. :)

:)

I am a bit embarrassed but that's what
They said they would sell for. I admit I got lucky. My first I paid $45 for and due to my ignorance it had 2 gas posts and leaked. After some repairs it worked great but $25 each is pretty nuts

Back