Balancing an "accidental" Apfel-pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deam

Reaction score
I got my corny's confused and added three cans of apple juice concentrate to my bohemian pilsner instead of my hard apple cider.

[Insert comments about how lazy/stupid can I be not to even smell the open corny to make sure I had the right one.]

There's still a good 2.5-3 gallons left, and I hate the idea of pouring it out. But the taste is... weird. Maybe if you loved apple juice it might be more enjoyable, but I don't. Any suggestions on juices I could use to balance it out? Maybe lemonade? Open to anything at this point, because as it stands I'm not going to drink it. Thanks for the input.

:p Not sure what you can do.. I can tell you that you probably shouldn't be using concentrate. Best made with real apple juice.

Is it carbonated yet? Maybe transfer it CAREFULLY back over to a bucket, add a sour yeast, forget about it for a few months. Might come out with a nice sour beer.. Depending on what preservatives were in the concentrate. Other than that. I think you have appils..

You need something to eat the sugar in the juice before it'll be drinkable, IMO. You could pitch a big starter at high krausen to eat the concentrate, see how that works. A graf of sorts.

Or +1 for sour.

The concentrate was to back sweeten, following a modification of Edwort's Apfelwein that I did twice before (and turned out lovely).

It is carbonated already, and I drank 2 gallons of nicely aged pilsner before my screw up. So looks like I'll purge the keg until its flat and try and turn it into a sour beer - any recs on a specific yeast type? Not too familiar with "sour yeast", perusing midwestsupplies didn't turn out anything either.

If it were me, I'd try to ferment it out using a regular yeast first, and see how it tastes.

The sour yeast most often used is brettanomyces. Wyeast has two variations: 5112 and 5526. There are also souring bacteria that can be used the more popular is lactobacillus (5335) with a less popular pediococcus (5733) also available.

The sour yeast most often used is brettanomyces. Wyeast has two variations: 5112 and 5526. There are also souring bacteria that can be used the more popular is lactobacillus (5335) with a less popular pediococcus (5733) also available.
Brettanomyces alone will not make your beer sour. If you really want to make it sour I would suggest using Wyeast's Lambic Blend, or just use dregs from some commercial sours.

Brettanomyces alone will not make your beer sour. If you really want to make it sour I would suggest using Wyeast's Lambic Blend, or just use dregs from some commercial sours.

True, brettanomyces is rarely used alone, so it would make sense to use a blend. Good point. The lambic blend is 3278, btw.

Brett by itself results in more of a 'funk' flavor, though it can sometimes produce a bit of tartness under certain circumstances.

Back