Bairds Brown Malt, 132L?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pythonaut

Reaction score
I recently stopped by a new LHBS that opened up nearby and managed to take pictures of all of the malts they had for future reference (they don't list them on their website yet). Each malt had a maltster, name, lovibond, and description. I am planning on making a brown ale soon, using brown malt, so I was pleased to see that they had it. However, unlike previous brown malts that I've used that have been in the 50-70L range, this one listed a lovibond of 132. I looked around the Bairds' website, and googled around, but have come up with nothing that would make sense for this lovibond range.

Does anyone have any experience with this malt? Does Bairds have a "dark brown" malt, perhaps? Maybe this is just a typo?

If this isn't a typo, it seems like this would fall somewhere between Coffee malt and a normal "brown" malt. I'm still tempted to use a pound or so in my next brown...

135 EBC would be about right . I think it's better for porter than brown. Maybe 4-8oz wouldn't hurt for some malty nuttiness.

135 EBC would be about right . I think it's better for porter than brown. Maybe 4-8oz wouldn't hurt for some malty nuttiness.

I didn't think of that. 132 EBC = 50L, so it might just be a typo on the LHBS's part - the malt came with an EBC rating, but they interpreted it as a Lovibond rating...

Yeah its an easy mistake to make to be fair to them

I wonder how many clone recipes down the years have had the wrong crystal being used for example

Bairds brown malt is lighter than that. That's about the colour of Simpsons brown malt, which is quite different.

Latest posts

Back