Bag, probe, & bazooka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an extracter considering moving to BIAB. I have a question for more experienced BIABers. If you have a pot with an external thermometer and a bazooka screen on the outlet port - as I would like to - is there any problem dragging the bag out of the pot? Seems to me it could get hung up on the temp. probe and/or bazooka, maybe even tear.

Thoughts?

Well....i am a BIAB brewer. I use a 15gallon pot with external thermometer a whirlpool arm . I have no issues. I use the Wilserbrewer bags. They work great. Easy to clean and long lasting. I have close to 30 batches on it . Bag still looks new.

I'm an extracter considering moving to BIAB. I have a question for more experienced BIABers. If you have a pot with an external thermometer and a bazooka screen on the outlet port - as I would like to - is there any problem dragging the bag out of the pot? Seems to me it could get hung up on the temp. probe and/or bazooka, maybe even tear.

Thoughts?

The bag can get hooked on the temperature probe and tear. It won't always but it can. There are ways around this.

1. Use a long spoon and slide that down inside the pot until it is over the temperature probe or alongside it to guide the bag away from the probe.
2. Use 2 bags for the grain, one for each side of the pot so the one away from the probe can be removed first, freeing the second bag from the probe.
3. Remove the probe and plug the hole.

You don't need the bazooka screen if using a bag, won't likely hurt anything but removing it might be a good idea.

As for snagging the temp probe, those that I have talked to admitted snagging and tearing the bag was a really dumb thing that could have been easily avoided. Manually lift the bag, pushing it with a spoon to the opposite side of the probe, once the mash is at the top of the pot you can attach to a hoist and proceed.

DO NOT just attach to a hoist and blindly start pulling, if the bag is stuck, do not get help from a neighbor to pull harder.

Lots of biab brewers prefer a hand held thermometer as you can check multiple spots in the mash, even with a mounted thermometer I would suggest using a another hand held digital to confirm temps.

I don't have a kettle mounted thermometer, and I never want one. Just something to get in the way and worry about. I much prefer a handheld.

Brew on :mug:

I pulled the kettle mounted thermometer from my pot. I didn't find it useful. It only told the temp of that spot.

I had the same experience with mine. It wasn't as accurate as I hoped it would be. My thermapen is much more accurate and I found myself having to measure with the thermapen anyway, so it was of little use.

I found my bazooka screen would just get clogged with hops and I'd end up with a lot of wort left in the kettle.

When I upgraded to a 20g kettle, I didn't bother with any ports of valves. It has made my brewing day so much easier. The bag doesn't get snagged, cleanup is a breeze. I just use a large autosiphon to transfer to the fermenters. I have embraced putting everything in, trub and all. My beers come out clear and tasty.

A year or so ago, I set out to find the simplest fussiest free way to brew and I really think having a plain kettle really contributes. It's easier to clean, easier to store, easier on the wallet.

When I did my 1st 24 lb grain bill, I got "help from the neighbor" tore a good hole, grain in wort...total cluster f#$/^...lol good thing i ordered 2 bags from wilser...since then careful of temp prope no issues. Beer came out awesome. ?.wish I could repeat all the errors to make same beer. Keep trying haha

I brew electric biab. I have a temp probe at the bottom of the brew pot controlling the electric heating element. Before I removed the thermometer on the side of the pot I found a significant temp difference between the two. Stirring periodically helped for a moment.

Ultimately I pulled the one on the side and added a pump for recirculation. I did add a thermometer on the recirc line. It and the one on the controller are usually within two degrees of each other when the pump is running.

I use to worry about the same thing, it has never been an issue. You think it's going to get caught but the bag just floats in there minding it's own buisness. Even stirring isnt an issue, I use a built in probe and a bazooka screen, and a wilser bag. The only time the probe and screen get in my way is with my wort chiller.

Honestly my filter never catches anything except that time a moth flew in during the boil, the bag is so much finer then the bazooka so if it gets through your bag it's not getting caught in that mesh.

I also have a steamer rack in the bottom of my boil pot. Sits about 3" above the bottom. The BIAB bag rests on it above the spigot intakes, sight glass intake, electric heating element, etc.

Back