Bag Burned... Do I Need to Ditch This Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rango

Reaction score
Hello All - I recently dusted off my homebrew gear - and by that I mean spent 3 hours burning my hands cleaning it all - and brewed for the first time in 2 years with a bunch of friends over. It was a great time explaining the process to everyone and doing my best to brew while hosting a ton of people. This was a huge labor of love and took up my entire Saturday. I realized while cleaning up the next day that the bag must have touched the bottom of my kettle and burned while I was doing a blast of re-heating during mash. A section about the size of a half dollar burned off of the bag and onto the bottom of the kettle. EDIT: This is/was a polyester/plastic type of bag with some stretch, not a canvas bag. What I'm wondering now is whether the beer will be safe to drink or whether I need to dump it? Flavor is a whole other question - if the consensus is that it's safe to drink but might taste odd, I'm OK with that. I just want to make sure I'm not putting anyone at risk by serving any of this beer. Let me know what you think - the amount of money, time, and energy that went into producing this might be clouding my judgement. Thanks all.

Back