Bad Stuff in Stir-Plate Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentnoiz

Reaction score
I have a 5L yeast starter on a stir-plate that I started 12 hours ago with 2 vials of WLP001. It seems to be progressing as usual, but there is a dark brown ring in the foam at the top that looks like cinnamon.

Any idea what this is? Should I remove it? Or is it OK?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

ForumRunner_20130315_090216.jpg

I'd say its just break material and particulate. If it is bacterial pulling out what you see would still leave the majority of it behind. Let the starter run its course and give it a sniff.

I understand why more than 1 vile....it's all about having the needed cell count. I have seen recipe's using 4 vials to get enough cells. Alternately (and cheaper) you can keep building you culture up with fresh wort additions each day. The ring is from broken down proteins. No worries.

I wouldn't worry about it either. I do question why you would spend money on 2 vials to put in a 5L starter when the whole point of the starter is to grow yeast?
Seems like a waste of money to me.

According to White Labs, their vials come with ~70-140 billion yeast cells in them. I'm brewing an Imperial Stout with a targeted OG of 1.138 (pretty high). According to MrMalty, I need 720 billion yeast cells, which would take 2 vials in a 5.84L starter when using a stir-plate. MrMalty has not steered me wrong yet. :)

I haven't used the step-up starter method before, and I didn't really have time since I made the starter on Thursday night for a Saturday morning brew day. So I probably could have gone that route with 1 vial and a bit more work (although I would have needed more time).

HBT ate my post so abridging it down to:

No harm no foul. As long as it smells ok roll with it. If the brown stays at the top anyway it'll get poured off once you decant it in any event if your concerned. Worst case scenario is it falls but I seriously doubt any harm from it.

I'd also be inclined to do multi-starters to get cell counts where I want them as well and put that money towards bigger/better/badder equipment but that's just me. To each their own and I'm sure you helped a great company thrive in any event.

Latest posts

Back